Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2006 V6 AWD and not able to downshift manually into 4th gear. The car does run through all 5 gears normally while driving and shifts into all 5 gears. The car also downshifts automatically from 5th to 4th normally as well.

When I look at the instrument cluster, the shift indicator doesn't show "4th" when I manually shift into 4th, which is not good. But when I shift into 3rd, it shows 3.

I'm thinking there's something electrical burned out at the "4th" gear selection. Or maybe some dust inside the shifter electricals.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
May I ask how you are trying to shift into 4th and how you know it isn't going there?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
When you downshift into 4th, do you see the RPM's come up? If you're relying on the shift indicator light in the gauge cluster, it may only indicate the position of the shift lever, not the actual gear the transmission is in. It could be that your shift linkage needs to be slightly adjusted.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply Dr Dyno and Junebug.
Dr Dyno, I'm using the shift lever, next to the parking brake lever.
Junebug, no the rpm's do not go up when shifting into 4th. My battery needed a jump recently so this may have been the issue. I need have the battery bench tested today, and also disconnect the battery terminals from the car...hope this will "reset" things...
I'll keep you guys in the loop...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok battery has tested fine and I've disconnected/reconnected the battery terminals for 30 seconds,but still not able to shift into the 4th gear, nor do I see the 4th gear indicator in the instrument cluster...

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Took our V6 for a drive today. Our shift diagram on the speedometer has four letters, P R N D, with a blank space to the right of the D. While in Drive the D has a box around it and at 60 mph cruising on a level road the tach reads around 1700. When I pull the shift lever to the left in the 4-D slot the rpm goes to 3000 and "4" appears boxed in the blank space. At slower speeds pulling it back to 3 slot makes "3" appear in the same space. At very slow speeds moving the lever all the way back gives "2" and "L." The display does the same things while stopped with the key on.
Unless the shift lever is in one of the lower gears the space to the right of D remains blank.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Took our V6 for a drive today. Our shift diagram on the speedometer has four letters, P R N D, with a blank space to the right of the D. While in Drive the D has a box around it and at 60 mph cruising on a level road the tach reads around 1700. When I pull the shift lever to the left in the 4-D slot the rpm goes to 3000 and "4" appears boxed in the blank space. At slower speeds pulling it back to 3 slot makes "3" appear in the same space. At very slow speeds moving the lever all the way back gives "2" and "L." The display does the same things while stopped with the key on.
Unless the shift lever is in one of the lower gears the space to the right of D remains blank.
Our V6 RAV does exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr Dyno & Blogson,
Thanks for testing and for the feedback. I'll pretty stumped. I may remove the plastic cover around the shift lever and see if there's anything unusual down in there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dr Dyno & Blogson,
Thanks for testing and for the feedback. I'll pretty stumped. I may remove the plastic cover around the shift lever and see if there's anything unusual down in there.

When you're in Drive just slide the lever to the left for 4th,, but don't pull back on it.
Ott.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
When you're in Drive just slide the lever to the left for 4th,, but don't pull back on it.
Ott.]

Good suggestion - seems that I recall that when I first got our RAV I rather instinctively pulled back on the lever when in 4th.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I kinda wonder why you need to run in anything but Drive anyway. The only time I've downshifted was when towing a trailer to keep the transmission from hunting gears.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I often drive in the foothills and windy roads and like to hold 4th gear, rather than having transmission constantly shift from 5th to 4th. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Will it go into 3, 2, or L if you move the shifter there?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The shifter is digital - a switch to change gears.
I have OBD II software that tells what gear is engaged.

Can you do the same?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Pico,
Thanks for the insights. I don't have one but I do have a friend with an advanced OBD scanner. I'll take a look and report back...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow problem finally solved! I ended up removing the center console plastic one by one until I was able to reach see a switch inside the shifter assembly. The switch's spring wire ended up being bent and couldn't be activated by the shifter. So I ended taking apart the shifter assembly to reach it. What a nightmare that was but a rewarding one! Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
A simple spring causing all that grief......amazing ain't it?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh man, wish you'd have taken a picture or two, in case a future member here runs into the same problem. A lot of people are visual and that visual aid would've been helpful. Otherwise, thanks for reporting on the solution as that is very helpful in and of itself.

So did you have to get a new spring or re-position the bent spring?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts