Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
That looks good. Too bad he doesn't accept PayPal. I'm wary of sending money orders - all too easy to rip off someone. I wonder how hard it is to make one myself...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That's forum member Raymond. :D

His description about being the only person in the U.S. with an HID projector retrofit on a 4.1 RAV is incorrect. If I am not mistaken, I was the first to do this mod.; then he and my friend Leslie Yap (the one he mentions) followed.

If any of you here are interested, that is a good starting price to bid on it. And if you get it at that price, it is a steal. Good luck on selling them. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may just be a yellow bulb.....not sure. I'd love those but $550! You could buy a new Rav for that!

And I think Derek was the first to do these. I remember seeing them and thinking: "Isn't it amazing what you can make out of used miled cartons, garden hose, toilet rolls and double-sided sticky tape!" :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is it pretty easy to take out the stock lamp housing and bolt in this projector housing? I'm assuming the item for sale is a complete housing and not something I have to assemble behind the exterior glass.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, Raymond is selling a completed projector retrofit. He did all of the hard work. All you will need to do is to remove the factory headlamp assembly and replace with those. Also, you will need to find a location for the xenon ballast and mount it with a zip-tie. The rest should be plug-and-play. :thumbs_up:

For his starting bid price, it is a good deal. Trust me, I've spent way more $$$ just for the parts for the project (BMW projectors, xenon bulbs and ballasts, extra pair of RAV4 headlamps). And the labor is intensive. :shock: Get them if you want some quality lighting. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
200 Posts
yup. Looks very nice, so I will probably bid on it. I'd still rather use PayPal (one less trip to the post office), so maybe I can cut a deal with him to pay him later once he gets PayPal up.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C_Jas has only gone and bid on them! Only eight hours to go. How exciting! Once again, not for me those HID.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's only gone and won the auction and for a mere $550! Well done! Hope they arrive OK and that you manage to fit them.

Send pics when they are ready.

O

·
0 Posts
Damn they look good and I want them >_<

If only I could find AU$ 1000 bucks on the floor I'd buy it just like that!

·
Registered
57 Posts
damn, 550.. what a deal... wish I saw this post earlier.. I would have been a good competitor for that auction...

cost me nearly 1k for mines.. and it doesn't look nearly as good as his... damn....

·
Registered
200 Posts
:cry: Well, I got the HID lamps, but one broke in transit! :cry: I'm trying to figure out how to repair it and realign the hi-beam reflector and Raymond is helping me with it. Thankfully, the HID projectors are not damaged.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok. The lamp is fixed and installed. Looks great! Next I'm going to wire up the angel eyes to my side markers. Any advice on doing that? I can do the splicing well enough, but I'm having trouble locating the wires in the engine bay. I can easily find them if I pop out the turn signal lamps, but can't trace them back far enough.

Also, I'm in need of some heat resistant plastic pipe. The high-beam sockets are way too large for me to use a 9005 bulb, since the original owner used some large turn signal bulbs. Will PVC pipe withstand the heat? The hole is about an inch in diameter. I plan to use the pipe to close down the socket size and maybe use some hi-temp silicone gasket material to seal the bulbs in place. I don't want to hack apart my stock lamps just in case I need them in the future.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts