Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Rav4 XSE Hybrid for about 5 weeks and put about 1400 miles on it but yet I am averaging about 36MPGs. I drive mostly city. Anyone else having this kind of MPG? Thanks!

·
Registered
443 Posts
How heavy is your foot? What mode are you running in (ECO)? Is your HVAc on AUTO? What is your tire pressure? What tire brand are yours? Do you have crossbars? Anything besides you in the car? Do you anticipate stoplight and slowdowns and use the engine to slow down? What altitude are you? Hilly or mountains?

How are you measuring MPG?

Lots of things affect MPG.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get that low a mpg if I drive in sport mode. Mostly, I use the normal drive mode and see 38-44. I watch the ECO gauges and try for the highest mpg I can get. 225/60/R17. Crossbars=yes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
XSE.. The worst we have had is 35.4. Usually 39-41. I have noticed it’s getting better with more miles, we have about 4,000 on it now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I know of the extensive posts/threads on the gas tank- filling concerns so when you calculate your mpg are you taking first read when nozzle clicks off or when you top off? For my Canadian built Limited it clicks off and can usually top off another 2-3 gallons but mileage is off..... the frustration others have posted and curious what others are doing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got my RAV4 Hybrid Limited in August. My avg MPG using the tank average display has been running around 33-34 mpg. I live in Houston so definitely no cold weather here. I drive mixed city and highway and leave my AC on auto all the time. I mostly drive in normal mode. Pretty disappointed with the MPG's and I am having the gas tank filling issue as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got my RAV4 Hybrid Limited in August. My avg MPG using the tank average display has been running around 33-34 mpg. I live in Houston so definitely no cold weather here. I drive mixed city and highway and leave my AC on auto all the time. I mostly drive in normal mode. Pretty disappointed with the MPG's and I am having the gas tank filling issue as well.
You're just an aggressive driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a rental XLE with about 6.5k miles on it before i picked up my new XLE, i was able to average 39-45mpg during the 3 days i had it, i was very excited to pick up my own XLE. Picked it up and i struggle to hit 36mpg with it, i am wondering if it will get better after it breaks in, only 130 miles on it right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm no hyper miler by any means but I did go through a phase where I'd try to constantly improve my civic's MPG. try and let your vehicle roll as much as possible (ie. when you see a red light ahead, try and let your car roll from a distance so that maybe you could get through the green without coming to a dead stop, let the car roll while approaching the peak of an uphill so it can roll and pick up speed on the downhill), extend your stopping/slowing down distance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything on the car is factory, factory tires, and the only thing I had installed were mud guards and step rails. I live in a normal climate in Kentucky. The roads aren't hilly. I use regular gas and drive in the normal mode with a/c on. So today I drove it in eco mode from work which is only about 12 miles and it averaged 41 MPGs. So this isn't extremely accurate since it's only about 12 miles I will update once I drive it more in Eco mode......Only question is should i have to drive in eco mode all the time? I figured normal mode would be the mode most would drive in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's possible to maintain 38 mpg on ACC if not going more than 70mph. after 70mph fuel consumption dropping too much.
tested on my wife's XSE while driving from Houston to Austin airport. just 2 of us, 2 backpacks and carry-on as payload.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a rental XLE with about 6.5k miles on it before i picked up my new XLE, i was able to average 39-45mpg during the 3 days i had it, i was very excited to pick up my own XLE. Picked it up and i struggle to hit 36mpg with it, i am wondering if it will get better after it breaks in, only 130 miles on it right now.
FYI mine is getting better mpg now with cooler temps than it did new with warmer temps. Take a couple road trips.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts