Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Rav4 sport automatic. I don't use or need the 4 wheel drive much at all. BUT- should I still press the 4 wheel button to use the 4 wheel drive at least once a year. Ive heard somewhere years ago, that guys should use there 4 wheel drive once a year to keep the spring etc working and being greased etc. So do I need to use it yearly?:serious

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2006 Rav4 sport automatic. I don't use or need the 4 wheel drive much at all. BUT- should I still press the 4 wheel button to use the 4 wheel drive at least once a year. Ive heard somewhere years ago, that guys should use there 4 wheel drive once a year to keep the spring etc working and being greased etc. So do I need to use it yearly?:serious

The button is used to lock 4wd up to ~25 mph. 4wd is engaged automatically upon launch and whenever wheel slippage is detected.

So, why not be crazy and hit the button anyway? Make sure it still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
that 4 wheel drive button is pretty much useless...no need to ever touch it...your rav uses 4 wheel drive at times and it is so seamless that you will not even know...party on...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies, and Pico thanks for saying " 4WD engages anyway. It exercises itself." exercise the 4 wheel drive mechanisims is what I was trying to say..
GOUVEIA

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
A little more explanation:
The RAV4 4WD system is quite a bit less complicated (and far less robust) than the 4X4 dual range system used on pickups like my F-250. The trucks have many parts that aren't moving in 2WD mode such as the front axles, differential and driveshaft, and the transfer case gears. But I see no reason to "exercise" them at all periodically. Maybe just to make sure they are working since the front hubs can be temperamental.
On the RAV4 all the parts such as the rear driveshaft and differential are always rotating. The only difference in 4WD is an electro-coupler connects the driveshaft to the rear differential.

Reactions: sparky52
1 - 7 of 7 Posts