Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new V6 AWD limited with 65 miles as of today. I noticed that when stopping the vehicle from 40MPH, braking is very smooth and predictable until around 25-20MPH. At that point a surge of the vehicle is felt. I'm not sure if this is related to any of the braking system components or downshifting. Has anyone else noticed this ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if its that since its a noticable surge that requires more braking to control.

·
Registered
652 Posts
rav4rusty said:
I'm not sure if its that since its a noticable surge that requires more braking to control.
Thats an issue you need to go to the dealer for. No car should surge when braking to the extent you need to increase braking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Surge

I haven't noticed this on the I4 either.

I've noticed an opposite reaction when brakeing in that the brakeing power seems to increase without any additional pressure being applied to the brake pedal.

You could be noticing the tranny upshifting but it shouldn't cause the vehicle to surge. Like everyone has suggested, it's best to let the dealer check it out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Dealer advised allowing everything to break-in and getting back to him if the problem still persists.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
It's probably the engine upshifting on you. Now adays the car goes directly into the gear it thinks you need (downshifting as it slows down so that when you step on the gas, it doesn't have to upshift and thus helping to get rid of the autolag). Give it time for the car to learn your driving habits and maybe the surge will be less noticable.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rav4rusty said:
I have a brand new V6 AWD limited with 65 miles as of today. I noticed that when stopping the vehicle from 40MPH, braking is very smooth and predictable until around 25-20MPH. At that point a surge of the vehicle is felt. I'm not sure if this is related to any of the braking system components or downshifting. Has anyone else noticed this ?
I wouldn't worry about it. My Sienna has always done it. Apparantly it's common among V-6 engines with the 5 speed transmission. The dealers and Toyota say it is normal, so I doubt its a problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Break in period

I had the same issue when I first got my RAV4. Since February 4th and 3, 500 mile later, I no longer have that issue. You got to give plenty time for the break in period for the car to run smoothly.

Along with that, the smell of burning rubber is gone. I guess that protective coat that was sprayed onto the engine parts have finally evaporated.

Enjoy the RAV4. It's a great vehicle.

-Sidney

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I can definitely say that what I am feeling is a downshift when decelerating/braking that happens right around 21MPH. At times there is a slight spike in rpm of about 200rpm which is the 'surge'. I'm only up to 250 miles now and will give this some more time but wanted to provide this more detailed update.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing you described. V6 4WD Sport. It seems to be a downshift. It is pretty subtle, but noticeable. The demo I testdrove (same config.) also did it. Ive got about 500mi on mine now.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've noticed this "surge" too when braking moderately to softly and believe it's the transmission downshifting into second gear. It's almost like you're hitting the gas and break at the same time. My RAV4 V-6 has about 700 miles on it. I'll ask the dealer about it at my first oil change unless it gets worse.

Overall, I love this car!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Janos said:
rav4rusty said:
Thats an issue you need to go to the dealer for. No car should surge when braking to the extent you need to increase braking.
That my way of thinking about it. This surge seems like a problem to me. Ill be slowly approaching traffic stopped at a light, applying just the right pressure to come to a slow stop and this surge hits, lurching me faster toward stopped traffic. Very annoying. You have to apply the brake harder to compensate for this surge. Never had a car that did that before. Im really beginning to feel uncomfortable driving it, always anticipating this "surge".

Off topic, I also think I might have brake problems, because I have to push them almost all the way to the floor to get this thing to stop. This is my fifth new car I've owned and hands down the Rav has the worst brakes I have ever seen on a brand new vehicle. (and two of my previous vehicles were full size Dodge 4x4 pick-ups! :shock: )

I know these brakes take getting used to, but the demo Rav I drove had much better braking than the one I got. My wife mentioned to me how bad she thought the brakes were before I ever said anything.

Rav goes to dealer today and I hope I dont get any nonsense from them. Kinda disappointed in Toyota (my first one) at this point. But, well see what the stealership says. I'll post a followup. Everything else about the car has been great so far though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah thats what I figured. All Ive heard is good things about the brakes, so I must be an exception. I was just upset last night and had to vent a little.

Its at the dealer today and they said they will test them and have a look. I dont mind having some problems, as long as they are fixable.
They recommended that I wait out the "surging" and see if it gets better. Since Sko580 posted that this "problem" disappeared with miles, I guess I'll wait and see.

The tough part is finding a dealer you can have confidence in to make things right. I dont think I've ever had a positive experience at Dealership service departments so I'm a little "jaded". :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Problem solved?

mlot51 said:
Janos said:
rav4rusty said:
That my way of thinking about it. This surge seems like a problem to me. Ill be slowly approaching traffic stopped at a light, applying just the right pressure to come to a slow stop and this surge hits, lurching me faster toward stopped traffic. Very annoying. You have to apply the brake harder to compensate for this surge. Never had a car that did that before. Im really beginning to feel uncomfortable driving it, always anticipating this "surge".

Off topic, I also think I might have brake problems, because I have to push them almost all the way to the floor to get this thing to stop. This is my fifth new car I've owned and hands down the RAV has the worst brakes I have ever seen on a brand new vehicle. (and two of my previous vehicles were full size Dodge 4x4 pick-ups! :shock: )

I know these brakes take getting used to, but the demo RAV I drove had much better braking than the one I got. My wife mentioned to me how bad she thought the brakes were before I ever said anything.

RAV goes to dealer today and I hope I dont get any nonsense from them. Kinda disappointed in Toyota (my first one) at this point. But, well see what the stealership says. I'll post a followup. Everything else about the car has been great so far though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I brought it to the dealer and they said the surging was "normal" and let the car break in. Now that I am over 1100miles it is barely noticeable so we'll see. They said they worked on the brakes, I dont know what they did, I think maybe they bled them and changed the fluid? They are much better as well, but nothing great. The brakes in my Dodge pickup were way better than the Ravs. Those brakes were HUGE though. Now all of a sudden I have a random clunking sound coming from the rear end of the RAV! Great. Back to dealer again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts