Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1958 VW Bug I would like to trailer to NW California - a gift to my young brother and sister-in-law, people who really know the Bugs. I'm Seventy years-old, divesting my estate, and not getting smarter every day, if you understand. The Bug is bored and stroked, has dual carbs, big valve heads, split cam and a spendy distributor BUT the engine is locked up due to sitting for 10 years, and the tires are rotted out. Trailer is necessary. I suppose.

It weighs bout 1,800 pounds. You can see my vehicle in my sig. Is it possible without ruining my beloved RAV4? I do not remember what vehicle trailers weigh. OK, will do research. But ...

TIA

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have revived engines that have been sitting for years. The bearings are probably ok. What usually seizes are the rings to the cylinder walls. A good dose of PB Blaster in each spark plug hole might get it moving. Since this is a horizontally opposed engine, getting PB Blaster all the way around the cylinder might be difficult.

If this loosens it, chances are the engine will burn oil because the cylinder walls are not smooth because of the rust.

Even if you got it running and a set of tires on it, I wouldn't drive it more than around the block.

The chances of damaging your RAV4 are slim since you have the factory tow package. Your owners manual should have the towing capacity.

Or you could rent rent a UHaul truck with a trailer.

As for your fading mental capacity, I sympathize. At 60 I am doing things that make me shake my head. For example, I was doing a tune up. I took the spark plug out of the box, threw the spark plug in the trash and stood there holding the empty box. It is disheartening to know that it doesn't get better.

I will go to the front of the shop to get something, forget what I was getting and have to walk back to my stall to remember what it was.

:/

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
With your V6 and the tow package you can tow up to 3500 lbs. total, but should have trailer brakes if you're trailering the Bug. Also from MN to CA you will cross two mountain ranges, in my experience the Rockies are more formidable. Maybe if you put a set of tires on the Bug you would be able to tow it behind the RAV without a trailer, but I don't know whether that's possible regarding the transaxle - should be able to find that out rather easily. And if you tow the Bug the brakes issue probably isn't of concern as long as you take it relatively easily and avoid sudden stops.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I'd like to see it go on an aluminum car trailer with surge brakes. Check U-Haul. That may be what they rent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can tell you from experience that U-Haul's trailer is a little too heavy for the RAV. I recently moved from Virginia Beach to Chicago and used the RAV4 to load my Scion tC onto the trailer. It is the V6 Sport with the stiffer spring set and it squatted so much the hitch was on the ground. The trailer itself is 2200lbs empty and I did have a 2900lb car on it but if it was me I would not attempt to use that across the country. Maybe around town.. If you had a lightweight trailer with brakes it would be no issue especially with the firestone air bag kit. Just my two cents.. BTW I have a Beetle too! Love them! :D

Hope this helps a little.
Andrew

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

As for your fading mental capacity, I sympathize. At 60 I am doing things that make me shake my head. For example, I was doing a tune up. I took the spark plug out of the box, threw the spark plug in the trash and stood there holding the empty box. It is disheartening to know that it doesn't get better.

I will go to the front of the shop to get something, forget what I was getting and have to walk back to my stall to remember what it was.

:/
What are you complaining about about? I have done this a few times between 20 and 40!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[...]

That is not uncommon! In fact, there is a name for it: The Doorway Effect, and it is not limited to us older folks.

Thank you for the suggestions and cautions. I have unstuck engines the same way, and honed the cylinders. Still burns a bit of oil. Oh, the things we did to keep those old Bugs running.

While here I will add a tip: do not let WD40 sit in a cylinder for a long time. I had a motorcycle engine with enough miles on it that there was a lot of carbon build-up (remember leaded gas?). I pulled the spark plugs, poured in WD40, replaced the plugs and forgot about it all Winter. When I pulled the heads, the carbon had turned to loose sand-like stuff. From then on I kept a bucket of dirty WD40 in the corner to 'strip' heads (Harleys) before polishing the chambers. Really a lazy, slow process. :)
Save

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Would shipping the vehicle by rail work out? This way no wear and tear on the RAV.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I can tell you from experience that U-Haul's trailer is a little too heavy for the RAV. I recently moved from Virginia Beach to Chicago and used the RAV4 to load my Scion tC onto the trailer. It is the V6 Sport with the stiffer spring set and it squatted so much the hitch was on the ground. The trailer itself is 2200lbs empty and I did have a 2900lb car on it but if it was me I would not attempt to use that across the country. Maybe around town.. If you had a lightweight trailer with brakes it would be no issue especially with the firestone air bag kit. Just my two cents.. BTW I have a Beetle too! Love them! :D

Hope this helps a little.
Andrew
Your experience was not very smart at all...5100 pounds pulled by a vehicle with a 3500 pound tow rating?...for real? The Highlander is only rated to tow 5k I think...you should think things out better next time...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would get a tow dolley to carry the front wheels and then those tire dolleys for the rear wheels...easy peasy...
I'm glad you brought that up. Won't that exceed the maximum tongue weight? Or does it not matter?

Tip (always a tip), secure the transmission in neutral. I mean very secure. A guy I know towed a Bug with wheels down, it slipped into gear and blew the engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I would get a tow dolly to carry the front wheels and then those tire dolleys for the rear wheels.
I like that idea. Problem with it is in many states a vehicle with wheels on the road must be registered and I doubt your bug is. Maybe a temporary or transport tag.
And as far as I know a dolly has very little tongue weight.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like that idea. Problem with it is in many states a vehicle with wheels on the road must be registered and I doubt your bug is. Maybe a temporary or transport tag.
And as far as I know a dolly has very little tongue weight.
I am so naive. Never considered that law. Well, if I do go with the suggestion, I will take my chances. One thing - I will wire the Bug's tail lights to the RAV as if the Bug were a trailer. I don't have a lot of time left to do this thing, so I feel I can be a little disrespectable of the 'law'.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That is not uncommon! In fact, there is a name for it: The Doorway Effect, and it is not limited to us older folks.
There is a door that I have to go through.

You don't know what you don't know ....

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I am so naive. Never considered that law. Well, if I do go with the suggestion, I will take my chances.
What you don't want is to get stopped and possibly have the bug impounded. Why not have the recipient temp tag it?

S

·
0 Posts
Tow dolly, put the bug butt on the dolly. Lube front brngs, cheap but GOOD tires to front. tie down the centered steering wheel and GO !
Did it that way from NEVADA behind an S10 w/ v6 for a 71 super bug . . . .years ago !

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I was thinking something like that...tho you may still need a transportation plate...
I believe that whatever has wheels in the road must be registered. That would include any dolly.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Agree with Dr. Dyno about where wheels ride on the roadway registration generally is required. There are some exceptions in Oregon, but don't know whether that includes car hauling dollies. But if one is rented the renter should already have it registered and the appropriate licence plate or info attached.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts