Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
for lack of a spec, "grunt" usually works, but lacking that you can look in a Machinery's Handbook or other reference book for the typical spec based on hardware grade, size and thread pitch.

but lacking that good and snug with a 3/8 ratchet should suffice.

trust me your local mechanic isn't torquing them, he is doing them by feel.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
for lack of a spec, "grunt" usually works, but lacking that you can look in a Machinery's Handbook or other reference book for the typical spec based on hardware grade, size and thread pitch.

but lacking that good and snug with a 3/8 ratchet should suffice.

trust me your local mechanic isn't torquing them, he is doing them by feel.
An over-tightened fastener is already half-broken.

·
Registered
91 Posts
An over-tightened fastener is already half-broken.
only if you have exceeded the elastic limits of the fastener, and once you do that you are pretty close to the yield point anyway.

Torque is just a number some engineer comes up with, if you really want to get into it the proper way to determine proper application of rotational force to fastener is by measuring stretch.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Reactions: pico

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Torque is just a number some engineer comes up with, if you really want to get into it the proper way to determine proper application of rotational force to fastener is by measuring stretch.
And you think the Toyota engineers don't know this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have seen Engineers make all sorts of assumptions and mistakes, including Toyota engineers, which is why Toyota is recalling vehicles across their whole product line by the hundreds of thousands, extending warranties, having dealerships epoxy hardware in a fixed position, etc etc etc.

The reality here is a good snug grunt on the bolts is sufficient, we are not setting bearing tolerances here or sending spacecraft to Mars.

99 out of 100 technicians, dealership or otherwise are going to tighten to fit.

but on a 4.3 the values are : Retorquing of the propeller shaft bolts is supposed to be done every 15k miles. If you are at only 5k you should wait and do it as the book says. There are 3 sets of bolts: front, center and rear. The front and rear ones are to be torqued at 26 ft*lbs (or 35 Nm) while the center ones are to be at 27 ft*lbs (or 36.8 Nm).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...] Toyota is recalling vehicles across their whole product line by the hundreds of thousands, [...]

99 out of 100 technicians, dealership or otherwise are going to tighten to fit.
I'll bet you have been told a billion times not to exaggerate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts