Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i posted this once, but now I cant find it, so here goes again :)

When i brought my 97 AWD into for its yearly inspection, the part of the test to check emissions, instead of running the engine under load with one set of wheels on a dynamo, they instead placed some kind of device, it looked like a old style UHF antenna on top of the belts.

What did this device do exactly?

Bruce

J

·
0 Posts
Umm...I wish I could help ya' but I don't know what that is. :shock: :? On top of the belts?!? What could they be checking there? Umm.. There is the diognostic port in the area, but looking like a UHF antenna...I'm stumped. :roll: We got a couple other New Yorkers here, maybe Jeff or Bogatyr know what it is...guys?

B

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I haven't seen this test done in person, but a few things pop into my head...

There is a new emissions inspection that has to be done in NYS, this started this year and requires your vehicle to have it's obd2 system checked out. Now, that being said, I haven't seen any OBD chekers that look like UHF antennas, but I'd think it might be a wireless device to either transmit the results of the OBD inspection to the server in the garage, or directly to DMV...it might be the latter as I know this data does have to go to DMV eventually, but the former is probably more likely...an OBD code reader with a wireless transmitter to the shop's server...

Heh, you could check on one of those wardriving sites to see if the garage has an insecure wireless network...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
986 Posts
http://www.nyvip.us/

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#NYVIP

There really is no mention of a device such as an antenna, because the equipment used for OBD II testing is not wireless. The individual shops cannot buy their own equipment, they have to buy the equipment from the state of New York so it is standardized. It may however be some sort of detector used to find an exhaust leak. I never needed to do an emissions inspection when I lived in New York, so I really can't offer more information about the tests. Now I live in the great state of New Hampshire, where you can have a car with 3 wheels that belches fire and still pass inspection.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Brucecs63 said:
I thought i posted this once, but now I cant find it, so here goes again :)

When i brought my 97 AWD into for its yearly inspection, the part of the test to check emissions, instead of running the engine under load with one set of wheels on a dynamo, they instead placed some kind of device, it looked like a old style UHF antenna on top of the belts.

What did this device do exactly?

Bruce
Just a though but maybe the emisions test they were doing was RF emissions. Faulty ingnition systems on cars can really mess with things like cell phones, although I've never heard of a test like this test before.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Brucecs63 said:
Is your RAV4 "4WD" or "2WD". If it's "4WD" they can't use the wheel/roller method.

Before our local testing center aquired OBDII testing equipment, they used the method you described, on my 4WD. My guess is the device they placed on your hood somehow measures engine RPM or ???

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does every state in USA have yearly inspections? It would be pretty expensive huh? Good thing we don't have any inspections here...once you buy it you can just keep driving it until it falls apart.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Brucecs63....I am a nys resident :lol: Maybe they were just resting the gadget on your car...I know they take photo or video of test being done :lol: Will ask dealer next time I go in...Yes... my Aussie friend you must get inspection every year in ny.....The stations here love it on old cars :lol: :lol: A nice fat fee to adjust emissions :lol: :lol: Get the picture :?: :?: In ny it's all about $$$$$

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all who responded.
first, let me explain, that the unit was not an antenna, but I used it to try and describe what it looked like. The unit was wired to their emissions tester, but not physically plugged into anything, but just resting over the belt system.
It does sound like maybe they are just loking for rpm?
its a 97 Allwheel drive

Bruce

·
Registered
986 Posts
I believe an annual motor vechicle safety inspection is required in all 50 states, but emissions inspections vary by state. Safety inspections usually only cost about $15 and you can get one done at any service station in your state that is licensed by that state to do safety inspections. Many states (like New Hampshire, at least now) don't require emissions testing in addition to the annual safety inspection. However NH will be starting the new OBDII testing system statewide on April 1st of this year. New York state used to have two types of emissions inspections, one type for the NYC metro area that used the dyno test, and another one for the rest of the state that used the tailpipe test. Now they are switching to the new OBDII testing just like many other states. Emissions tests range anywhere from $10-30 on top of what you pay for the safety inspections. However, in some states you only have to do the emissions test every couple years as opposed to every year.

B

·
0 Posts
And, I'll add to what Jeff said, older vehicles, like my Land Rover, are exempt from the emissions inspection. They only have to pass the safety inspection.

As a funny aside, my sister in law lived in NC for a while, and about a month after getting her car inspected the brakes failed. So she called up the shop that just did the inspection and they replied that brakes aren't part of the inspection in NC...dunno if that's still true...but eek...

Bogatyr

J

·
0 Posts
Actualy, in Ohio they only have emissions testing every two years (ECheck) for '96-or earlier(OBDII ECU), and only in major Metro areas.(i.e. Cleveland, Toledo, ect.) And as far as safety inspection, they have no inspection what so ever. :wink: I personnaly think a safty inspection is a good idea to a degree. Otherwise people try to push there car into being barely safe, or not safe at all. I saw this in Ohio in more than one occation when I lived down there. True story...I knew a guy down in Ohio who had no brakes whatsoever, he only had his emergency(parking) brake to stop. :shock: Turns out he had a broken brake line. The sad thing was, he drove it like that for about 7 months!!! :twisted: When he needed to stop, he just pulled up the parking brake! Talk about dangerous!

But your right Postman, in NY, it's all about taxing EVERYTHING. :x And this in realality is another tax, did you notice the inspections went up too with the emmisions add-on?!?

To all upstaters, I heard the dyno test Jeff was talking about going on downstate will be statewide withen the next five years. :wink: And as far as 4WD, in Ohio the emmissions testing for 4WD is done by putting all wheels on rollers to test it, however each state is different in how they do it, and how NY plans to deal with it, I'm not sure, I've got a 2WD. But, I think Kelly might be on the right track. :) All I know is that we're all going end up to paying for it... :?

J

·
0 Posts
Does every state in USA have yearly inspections? It would be pretty expensive huh? Good thing we don't have any inspections here...once you buy it you can just keep driving it until it falls apart.
NOPE! I don't have to.

B

·
0 Posts
Oh man...not more emissions testing...Actually, when I lived in CT we had the tailpipe test...at the time I was driving a 1988 Integra with close to 200k on it...each year I would watch the emissions get higher and higher...So I guess in the overall scheme of things it's good to get the old polluters off the road...

However, I have to draw the line if they try to stick something up my rover's tailpipe...it would never pass any kind of modern emissions test...and consider the economic impact of killing the old car restoration hobby...eek...

My other problem is that if I'm eventually forced into driving new vehicles that meet with some modern emissions standard in 15 or 20 years...heck, there will be no manual transmissions then...not like I can afford a new depreciationmobile anyway...

Argh...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is another reason why in the future you will be forced to bring your car to the dealer :roll: The cost of these machines :roll: In ny it's 37.00 a year for the inspection :roll: The small garage cannot afford the cost :roll: Plus :evil: The small garages are not able to get codes :evil: We will be forced to BRING IT IN BUDDY :evil:

·
Registered
69 Posts
When doing emission test in Ontario Canada, a mechanic sometimes leaves an antenna on the top of hood (or engine valve cover if signal is weak) to sense RPM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts