Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Camry pictures have been updated in the toyota.com site. I really liked the interior(IMO). Hope the rav 4 V6 come out soon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I guess I'm just starting to dislike the "Toyota look" in general. The RAV4 looks like a bland bubble, I don't like the front of the 2007 Camry, and the back end reminds me of a cross between a Civic and an Accord.

The only notable exception to this "dislike" rule in my book is the FJ Cruiser, but that vehicle specifically harkens back to when Toyota vehicles had their own very unique identity which wasn't drawn from apparently the same idea pool as every other car manufacturer out there. The 2006 RAV4 looks like the Kia, which looks like the Hyundai, which looks like the Mazda, which... You get the idea.

Going back to the 2007 Camry, the gauges look too gimmicky for me. Pretty much the same reason I never bought a "purple", "Apple green" or "burnt orange" colored car. They're beautiful colors for cars, but I would really, really get tired of it quickly. Now the gauges in the Hybrid are a different story. Those look nice.

You know what really, really urks me? The knowledge that Toyota, in their infinite wisdom (or lack thereof) will put a Navigation system option in every single car (not trucks) and 99% of all SUV's they make but not the RAV4.. Why? I don't know, but the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off... Makes me feel like the RAV4 is pretty much Toyota's version of the "Chevy Cavalier" (meaning the lowest car on their totem pole, not even worthy of the effort to add NAV as an option)

On the bright side, were it not for the really dumb looking gauges, it looks like (once again), sites like OEMValue.com might be able to adapt the 2007 Camry Nav system to the 2006 RAV4. The dash opening looks the same, but the buttons would definitely be a mismatch.

Why does Toyota keep shooting themselves in the foot?

Wayne

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Wayne said:
You know what really, really urks me? The knowledge that Toyota, in their infinite wisdom (or lack thereof) will put a Navigation system option in every single car (not trucks) and 99% of all SUV's they make but not the RAV4.. Why? I don't know, but the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off... Makes me feel like the RAV4 is pretty much Toyota's version of the "Chevy Cavalier" (meaning the lowest car on their totem pole, not even worthy of the effort to add NAV as an option)
The RAV4 has a navigation system... just not in North America... :?

And I wouldn't say "every single car" when the Echo, Yaris, Matrix, Corolla, all the Scions (and probably a dozen other vehicles they don't sell outside of Japan) are also have-nots.

·
Registered
214 Posts
karrock said:
And I wouldn't say "every single car" when the Echo, Yaris, Matrix, Corolla, all the Scions (and probably a dozen other vehicles they don't sell outside of Japan) are also have-nots.
My mistake. It's just how I feel. The option of a navigation system (not the inclusion, just the option) is at the point now with every other car maker that it should at least be available, like CD players used to be rare, then became optional on all cars, then became standard equipment on almost all cars.

It's not Toyota's job to decide what we DON'T want, but to at least offer what we do :)

Wayne

·
Registered
214 Posts
flyingn said:
do these cars look the same to you????
You're taking me far too literally, but if you look at them in the "six degrees of seperation" sense...

A looks like B which looks like C which looks like D but that does not mean D looks like A. They all seem to share, or steal the same ideas, designs, and layout. Whether Toyota copies, or is being copied is irrelevant.

In no sense of the word does the 2006 "RAV4" look like anything less than a baby Hilander. I will reluctantly admit that -- looking at that picture of the red one from that angle -- I'm getting used to the front end of the 2006 RAV4, but the back end still reminds me of the GV and every other SUV out there.

Wayne

·
Registered
214 Posts
flyingn said:
heres more pics Wayne.. Of mine:) It really IS a striking vehicle in real life.. :)
I'm glad you like it, but from the few I've seen IRL, I couldn't disagree more. It's just my opinion, and that's all it's worth, but I find the entire vehicle to be inanely bland and bubbly. The back end looks more like it belongs on a Suzuki GV than a RAV4.

I bought my 4.2 RAV4 specifically because it had a lot of character that I really love. All of that character IMHO no longer exists and it's (to me) indistinguishable from my mental image of a large, unwieldy, soccer-mom Hilander.

In regards to the 4.3, I said I was "getting used to it". I got used to the change from the 1967 to the 1968 Corvette too, but I never liked it. The Corvette lost something in 1968. The RAV4 lost it in 2006. Just my opinion...

Wayne

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think wayne has a point! it's kinda getting to the stage where you can't tell the difference between cars any more! at least i can find my 2door at a glance in any parking lot!

the 4.1's have a style all of their own! :wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
the 4.1's have a style all of their own! :wink:
Very true indeed peterpogi. When they first came out, i thought that it looked like a frog (no offense), but got used to it. I liked it cuz of its size, i didn't like the style of the Daihatsu Feroza (it was a little too square) and the Rav looked better cuz rounder shapes were "in".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts