Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. So three years ago I bought a 97 Rav4. It had just done about 120k and hadn't been used much.

Anyhow, it regularly gave me about 275Km for 50litres of gas. I spoke to guys at Toyota and they said that's normal (since the car doesn't throw any CEL). It used to fail emissions and I stopped using it until the emission program was removed for my province.

I'm thinking that this is not normal but everyone says it is. There are no engine lights so I don't think anything is wrong.

Reading some of the posts I think the O2 sensor could be replaced. I have them and am going to replace them. If this doesn't work then i really need to let this car go. It's pretty expensive with the cost of gas here.

My baby is a North American 97 Rav4, the 4 door automatic version.

When purchasing the sensors, he had a "front" sensor and a "rear" sensor. I know in the first picture attached, the front one is the upper one on the right and the rear one is the lower one on the left.

I do recall seeing another sensor on the exhaust pipe under the car (near the second catalytic converter), but being unable to currently get under the car I cannot see to confirm.

Is there another O2 sensor down there that needs to be replaced? Does that one count as a "front" or a "rear" sensor (if it is there)..?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Is the CEL lighting during startup? Was it on when it didn't pass emissions?

Unless it has more than two O2 sensors the picture is confusing. The rear one on my friend's 1998 RAV4 is in the exhaust pipe after the cat well back from the engine and underneath the floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the CEL doesn't light up at all. It did when it didn't pass emissions, and that was traced to a bad EGR that I replaced. After that there was no CEL.

I changed the upstream sensor yesterday. I was trying to do the lower one (in the picture its on the left), but its locked in tighter than a duck's backside and I left it as is. I'm not sure what sort of mileage I am going to get, will drive it around a little and see. Fingers crossed. I love my car, its just that its sucking gas through a firehose and its driving me crazy.

I will try and get a look underneath and see if there is another sensor down there, I recall seeing one, just can't seem to find it for some reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts