Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
2012 RAV4 Limited: My Bank 1/Sensor 1 was replaced at Toyota in June, and my check engine light, 4WD & trac dash lights went on yesterday. Went to my local mechanic, he told me P0136 code and gave me an estimate. When I told him it was recently replaced by Toyota, he sent me back to them. Toyotoa replaced the sensor a second time today, unsure of why it went bad in a few months. Car only has just under 29,000 miles, but we've had it since Feb 2012. It's out of warranty.

My question is, car has a push button keyless ignition and since I drove off the repair lot today, it's been having a rough start (all I had before was above dash lights on). Went back into dealer shop and they told me that will go away after I drive the car around for awhile. I'm concerned because I have a road trip soon. Is this normal or do I need to bring it back to dealer repair in the morning? I'm annoyed at this point.

Thank you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
They cleared the computer's memory and that reset all the adaptive memory settings to factory default. It will take some driving for the computer to relearn.

Reactions: Terriermom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, was that to clear the dash lights after the repair? But all of my radio stations are saved and phone connected etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can clear the ECU by plugging in an OBD2 scan tool underneath the dash - this is likely what the dealer did.

You can also clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a min or two - this will clear your radio stations and all saved settings.

It is normal for the RAV4 to have quite a rough start/idle after disconnecting the battery/resetting the ECU.

I really wouldn't worry too much, the idle should return to normal soon.

If your CEL (lights on dash) does return, then contact the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I don't have the scan tool, but plan on getting one. I didn't remember the rough start after the last O2 sensor replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's hit and miss and I can't explain why.

Spent 5 minutes swapping battery's last year and I had a rough start/idle for a couple days.

Then I had the battery disconnected for a couple hours while I replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body, MAF and other maintenance and it ran fine.

I'd recommend a scan tool for every person whether or not you know your way around a car, and you don't need to spend $100 on one. Buy a cheap $40 one that'll read and erase codes - you don't need a fancy one unless you do a lot of work/diagnosis yourself.

Helps ensure you don't get run around by a dealer/mechanic.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
You can clear the ECU by plugging in an OBD2 scan tool underneath the dash - this is likely what the dealer did.

You can also clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a min or two - this will clear your radio stations and all saved settings.
Not necessary to disconnect the battery. Remove these 2 fuses under the hood, wait 1 minute, and replace them. And you don't lose any radio settings:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you James. My fuses were in a different layout and labeled differently. I wasn't comfortable pulling them without being positive. The car still has a rough start. How many days will that last?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not necessary to disconnect the battery. Remove these 2 fuses under the hood, wait 1 minute, and replace them. And you don't lose any radio settings
(How does JuneBug DO that?!?!?! Amazing! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi, I've attached what my fuse layout is below. Maybe you can tell me on this model where the EFI Main and ETCS are located? Many thanks.
just so you know there are 2 fuse boxes under the hood....one on the left side and one on the right...you pictured the one on the right (passenger side)...look in the fuse box on the left side (drivers side) and you will find what JuneBug said is there...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So 500+ miles later, still have a rough start. The start was quiet when I brought the car into Toyota for repair. Is this normal? I don't remember this noise the last time they replaced an O2 sensor. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So 500+ miles later, still have a rough start. The start was quiet when I brought the car into Toyota for repair. Is this normal? I don't remember this noise the last time they replaced an O2 sensor. Thank you.
IMO, any issues still existing from a battery disconnect/sensor replacement etc, should resolve by maybe a hundred miles or so. I'd say you still have a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts