Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is ... 2002 rav4 automatic 4wd that I financed 2 years ago...

Currently car is running poorly, replaced valve cover gasket (fixing vacuum leak) but throwing obd codes p0420 (catalyst efficiency bank 1) & p0430 (catalyst efficiency bank 2). I purchased an o2 sensor then realized I don’t know which one it is (upstream or downstream, bank 1 or bank 2).
The other question is, where can I find a clear diagram (for laypersons) showing me the location of all (o2) sensors on MY RAV4?

Just FYI in general (?)
Kendall sold me this suv with a cracked block-I Needed a reliable vehicle because I live on a mountain with only 4wd access only, but more so because i am disabled and use oxygen full time as well as care for an 83 year old woman with Alzheimer’s ...the 2nd time I took it in to have the heater diagnosed-no heat-i was told it was dangerous to drive and they couldn’t return my keys if I planned on driving it (I was 50 miles from home at 5pm!) the car stayed there for 3 months until I could replace the motor ($2300-not incl. labor). Then 1 year later I began having transmission trouble (I thought) when I took it to Kendall they said it was ECM/ECU... Toyota informed them that ALL ECM/ECU Modules in ALL 2002,03,04s would begin failing at about 130-150k (no recall, no compensation) another $1800!
Prior to this specific vehicle I had very good experiences with All previous Toyota’s this car has been a heavy financial burden (I’m on disability and physically limited) and gives me no comfort in reliability, I will never recommend a Toyota to anyone again!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since there's only two, replace them both. running them with a cracked block and probably burning coolant is probably what fouled them up.

Upstream is on the catalytic converter right up front, downstream is under past the cat, the front one is pretty straight forward and easy, the second one is under the car, after the cat, the wiring goes up inside the car, you'll have to remove the passenger side carpet and the panel under the dash.

good luck, sounds like you got a lemon, i've got an 05 with 160k kms that I just bought, didn't bat an eye at this milage.

Last i checked, the ECU issues were 2001-2003 but that there's way to fix the existing ECUs in some cases VS having to spend $$ on a new unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I actually sent my ECM to a shop in Puerto Rico ... mine was repaired and returned with 2yr anything and Lifetime repairs warranty in under 4 days for a fraction of 5he cost (maybe $200).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts