Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a cheap/generic OBD2 Bluetooth reader and downloaded several apps on my Android phone and it works fine on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L.
So I thought I'd try it on my 1998 Rav4. Well............. my phone sees/acknowledges the existence of the OBD2 Elm 327 V2.1 but when it the applications on my phone (OBD Driver, ScanMaster, Torque Lite, OBDclick, DashCom, yes, I've tried a few) trys to communicate with the Rav's ECU.....CRICKETS!, NADA, Big fat goose egg. Did I happen to mention that it couldn't communicate with the ECU??? So, anyone have any information about this? Do I need another type, or earlier version of OBD2/Elm 3??? V???? Or maybe a PID command I can enter to initiate communication?

Curious minds want to know. :)

Side note... I haven't found much online in regards to engine performance upgrades for the 98 Rav.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

While this is my first Rav (always been a truck guy,) I really love the this vehicle. I wouldn't mind beefing it up a little, dumping the Auto trans (UGH, YUCK!)... Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have TorquePro ($5/android) and this guy's reader:

I don't remember trying on the RAV4 yet, but worked on another vehicle. For the RAV4, I use a cheap plug-and-play "OBD-II CAN" code reader that was less than $15. It looks much like this one:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The RAV4.1 is a grocery-getter, unless you want to do major work (turbo, engine swap, etc.). Better to just get it running very well and use it as your daily-driver. Then buy a better platform as a project for a separate performance vehicle.

I'd guess going from automatic to manual trans is major work due to the computer-control. If you must, I'd look for a rear-end wreck so that you can swap everything over. IDK if that will keep your VIN in the electron module accurate, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts