Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got this code today on my new OBDII tester.
found a number of posts about P0037 and P0051

what is the P0031 for and how do I fix it?

I think I also got code P0033 (ignition sensor 3?) which I believe to be the cylinder 3 (middle back row?) coil?

thanks
Robert

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think i found a reference for an air/fuel mixture sensor that is before the catalytic convertor?
anyone have a part number to order and expected costs? in Canada which seems to be twice the US costs : (

Toyota is asking $138 +13% tax for the ignition coils here in TO; might do all 3 back coils for now since that adds up fast

anyone in TO, Canada have a source for Toyota parts for less?

thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
P0031 means the heater in the O2 sensor upstream of your cat is shorted out or the wiring to it is shorted out.

Do a visual inspection of the wiring on the O2 sensor, the problem may be easy to see. Open the connector to the O2 sensor and check for moisture and corrosion. If present, clean it our and dry it then clear the codes and try running the car again.

If you still get the code or the connectors looked good (with the car shut off and the the connector still apart) measure the resistance between the two white wires on the sensor and the wires that feed the two white wires on the car (I'm pretty sure O2 sensors have universal wiring but I may be wrong about the white wires...). You should see around 4.5 ohms across the two white wires. Not sure what you should see across the car wiring, but it should be far more than 4.5 ohms, perhaps open. If you find a short on either side, you'll need to dig deeper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts