Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What , if anything, are people doing the the obnoxious "brushed aluminum-like" bar across the front of the 2016 dash? This thing is a serious source of glare from the sun. I had my tint guys install a windshield visor which helps but doesn't eliminate it. I am considering having them apply some 3M film over that strip of dash, in flat black or the like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can paint it with Plasti Dip. That way, if you don't like it you can just peel it off.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like someone needs to post instructions on how to remove that trim. The 3M body wrap stuff would be easily removed too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If they're the same as my '13 Limited, they are held on with clips. To remove, just get under the edge with a padded screwdriver.

I removed the left one only and covered it with black leather. Took care of the worst of the glare.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife's 2012 VW Golf TDI has similar shiny bits on dash and near gear shifter that reflect in my eyes sometimes. This styling trend can go away as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Following up.
I got 2 dash covers:
Dashmat Limited (new style fabric)
Cover King molded carpet

The fit and finish on the Dashmat are quite a bit better, but get this: it doesn't cover the shiny trim!!!!!

I prefer the new fabric of the Dashmat. They both also have a fake suede fabric that has the least glare. I may try one of the suede types too, what the hell. But I'm going to try the Dashmat for a while and see if the exposed shiny bits still glare too much. Most of the glare comes from the glossy black dash itself.

So far I think the CoverKing covers the most, too bad they don't offer other fabrics in the molded style. Note that the Coverking needs to have the driver's side light sensor cut out a bit more than it is by default. That's in the defroster cutout.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Following up after several weeks trying each of the above dash mats in the NM sun.

The Dashmat Limited style is a superior fabric, but the design earns a failing grade. Not covering the shiny bits of the dash just doesn't work.

So the CoverKing molded carpet is what I'll use until something else comes along. It covers ALL the dash and does what is needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts