Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason nothing happens when i click "search this forum" so i'll just have to post a new thread as i can't really spend the time looking through thousands of posts...though i'd love to. recently bought a 2010 rav4 and the passenger airbag light almost always says off even though the seat is occupied by a large adult. have considered shorting the sensor wires (assuming they are closed by the sensor when someone is sitting there) but don't know if that would work- i never have children sitting in the front seat and have heard the cost of fixing this at the dealer is upwards of $400 for what really should be a safety recall item. have the seat out on the driveway and it looks like there are 4 sensors, one in each corner of the seat. maybe they all have to work, maybe one has failed, i really don't know what to think. anybody dealt with this themselves?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I haven't checked on my RAV4 but the dealer repaired a faulty seatbelt latch switch under Honda's lifetime safety warranty - with 203,000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i went ahead and ordered a dorman replacement module thinking it would fix the problem (about $150 versus $350-400 at the dealer), especially as the description said it was designed to fix problems with the original toyota part. lo and behold, the " passenger airbag off" light is still on with an adult sitting in the passenger seat where i replaced the module. SRS light is not on. something simply is failing to register with....could it be all four corner sensors are defective??? -- not likely. still hoping for somebody who has dealt with this to respond.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Even tho the SRS light isn't on there probably are still SRS codes. Have them read and then reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
latest thing; once in a while the "airbag on" comes back on, perhaps related to sliding a phone book under the seat- in other words, bumping the harness under there. there's two plugs that go to the black sensor i replaced and other plugs that go to the seatbelt and something that looks like it goes up into the seat itself (yellow wires). i'm going to sit in the seat and fuss with the wires when i get home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i shorted the obd connector pins (4 and 13, right?) and got no codes. i read this instruction for a 2008 rav4 but i'm assuming it goes for the 2010 also. disconnected the battery for an hour and discharged the connectors to each other to empty any capacitors holding charge, no change in the condition, so i'm at a loss. afraid the stealer will be experimenting and learning about this at my great expense if i take it to them. any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
finally went to dealer, specifically told them there were no srs codes to read (didn't want them to charge for that), and asked to only do one thing, to recalibrate the passenger occupant sensor. much to my surprise they only charged 55 bucks and it has more or less worked fine ever since. when the passenger seat is laid back and then raised up again it sometimes registers no occupant but messing with the seatbelt or getting in and out seems to have fixed it so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts