Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for a *good* hand-held type ODB code reader for the RAV4.

I don't need one now, but want to have one handy should the need for one arise, e.g. when away from home.

I'm not looking for the cheapest thing, I'm not looking for a mechanics-level thing, but something in the middle, ideally something that can explain the problem in reasonable detail (English), perhaps with special Toyota knowledge in it. If you can get one that will clear codes, that would be great, too.

I'm not looking for a Bluetooth one, but instead would like one that's a hand-held, self-contained unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I bought the "cheapest" one I could find about 10 years ago at harbor freight. To my surprise, I still use it and it works GREAT! I recall spending about $50. If I was to do it again I would probably try a sender that communicates with my smart phone.

OK so now that I told you about the 2 options that you are NOT interested in...

I would feel confident in buying the current middle of the road OBDII reader from Harbor freight. From my experience with the company they only make improvements to their product. They don't revamp a product just to give it a face lift. If it works they don't fix it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts