Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rav4 V6 engine. Had the oddest experience at a drive through lube place in regards to having my engine coolant flushed. They did not drain it from the radiator bottom or drain bolts on the engine.

They capped the reserve bottle's vent and inserted a hose with a circular rubber end to create a vacuum, to suck antifreeze out while engine running, every quart or so they would put new coolant in, mixing old with new (suck a quart out, put a quart back in)

You can see the pink coolant being sucked out and when they reverse to inject new yellow coolant it would disappear in to the engine (perhaps because its colder)...

They did this till about 2 gallons of antifreeze was used up. It's pinkishyellowish...I was speechless... What should I do??

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd be finding a qualified mechanic to work on your vehicle instead of the McDonald's Drive Through oil change place.

You are never going to get all the old coolant out, short of knowing if there are drain plugs in the block that can be removed and let gravity do its thing.

There are three things you are tring to do when maintaining coolant.

Ph (acidity) is a concern that has popped up, so anti corrosion additives are important, once upon a time the anti freeze used to lubricate the bearing but now you see a sealed bearing, but it is still something you don't ignore, and lastly the physical properties of the coolant itself that allow it to transfer heat from the block to air by way of the radiator

For the normal person, removing as much of the coolant through the petcock and replacing it with fresh coolant is sufficient , the fresh coolant will mix with any residual coolant and everything will be fine.

On my personal vehicles I drain what I can, fill the system with distilled water, run it and drain it, and refill with non dilluted AF.

I might pop the lower radiator hose and let it drain depending on the vehicle and if I am in the shop on a lift or at home in the driveway.

But the real reason that shops are using a machine is that so many vehicles have cooling systems that trap air in them when emptied, that the process to bleed the system makes it easier to make sure the system never gets air in it.

When I had to change the coolant on my rice bikes, the bleed process was simple, my 2008 Ford Escape takes about an hour to get the air out of the system to the point the heater will work correctly

Then there is always the chance the bleed screws will not willingly come out (think of how many times you fought with brake bleeders, same thing) and the last thing a shop wants to do is try to extract a broken bleed screw from a engine.

If you are worried, go to your local NAPA and buy a reasonably priced anti freeze tester that will measure the specific gravity.... the old floating ball type will do, and some test strips to measure the Ph, and as long as it tests correctly you should be fine.

Coolant Tester FIL 4106 | NAPA Auto Parts

Coolant Tester SER 771784 | NAPA Auto Parts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Another important consideration is to use coolant which meets Toyota specs - either their Toyota Super Long-Life Coolant, or, from the Owner's Manual, "Similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, none amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology." Using coolants which do not meet these specs. can erode water pump impellers, degrade seals, and with today's no-longer-virtually-indestructible radiators can damage radiators as well.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Jeff, I second what Neggy said, especially the part about never going to a drive-thru oil etc place. What I would add to that is the fact that I would only use Toyota OEM coolant, ie the pink stuff. You really have no idea what they put in your vehicle, do you?

·
Registered
129 Posts
at this point i would drain from the radiator bottom which will get most of the coolant out. there's a drain on the engine block as well. i would fill with water, run, then drain again. then fill with toyota pink coolant. i don't trust the green coolant in a toyota.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They put in long life Toyota approved antifreeze. You can see most of the pink antifreeze being suck out, and the new yellow stuff disappearing into the engine's circulation.. I'm guessing that the new antifreeze is cold when inserted which would make it go to the bottom of the radiator. I may just drain it from the radiator and refill it.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Toyota Long life Coolant (LLC) is red
Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) is Pink
Your RAV4 comes with SLLC . That's what I would use or an equivalent. Many non-OEM SLLC brands that I know of are pink.

I however I know of a brand in Canada (MotoMaster Asian Concentrate Coolant) which is pale yellow in colour which is meant as a top-up fluid. When mixed with the pink fluid, the fluid will stay pink.

What coolant did they actually put in your RAV4?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toyota Long life Coolant (LLC) is red
Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) is Pink
Your RAV4 comes with SLLC . That's what I would use or an equivalent. Many non-OEM SLLC brands that I know of are pink.

I however I know of a brand in Canada (MotoMaster Asian Concentrate Coolant) which is pale yellow in colour which is meant as a top-up fluid. When mixed with the pink fluid, the fluid will stay pink.

What coolant did they actually put in your RAV4?

Just called them and they said its a Toyota approved long life antifreeze, 5 years or 150000 miles. Global Extended Long Life Antifreeze. Mixes with any color antifreeze.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
FYI: Rechochem makes Global Extended Long Life Antifreeze as well as the Motomaster brand and the OEM Brand (OEM is an actual Brand and does not mean TOyota!).
You should be good but Rechochem does recommend a complete flush before the Coolant is used to have the fill 5 years or 150000 miles. I guess what they did is pretty close to that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI: Rechochem makes Global Extended Long Life Antifreeze as well as the Motomaster brand and the OEM Brand (OEM is an actual Brand and does not mean TOyota!).
You should be good but Rechochem does recommend a complete flush before the Coolant is used to have the fill 5 years or 150000 miles. I guess what they did is pretty close to that.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer, The ones that make the coolant for Toyota. OE is original equipment, not made for Toyota labeling but similar. Looks quite yellowish now after running it for the day.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If you have doubts, suggest that you get one of the coolant containers which the shop used, compare the specs. on it with those in your Owner's Manual or with those in my Post #3, which was lifted from the OM, and it may be necessary to go on line to the manufacturer to get their complete spec. list. If that coolant doesn't meet those Toyota specs, replace it with coolant which does.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently that's how they service the rav4, doing it like so many times with no issues. I have a receipt for the service stating Global long life coolant, liability for them if something goes wrong.

S

·
0 Posts
Why go to those places. Their prices are as much as a dealer if not more. And its a roll of the dice if it was done correctly!
My wife use to go till they left off the filler cap. No damage, but I had to buy a new one.
That was the end of that. We swap cars if it needs something, and I get to take it in.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Apparently that's how they service the rav4, doing it like so many times with no issues. I have a receipt for the service stating Global long life coolant, liability for them if something goes wrong.
Well, the bottom line is that it's your call whether to leave it in and see what happens, or change it out for the Toyota coolant.:serious

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why go to those places. Their prices are as much as a dealer if not more. And its a roll of the dice if it was done correctly!
My wife use to go till they left off the filler cap. No damage, but I had to buy a new one.
That was the end of that. We swap cars if it needs something, and I get to take it in.

$74... You can see most of the old antifreeze being sucked out.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Toyota doesn't manufacture coolant. Global brand is the same as Toyota, just different label..
By "Toyota coolant", I'm referring to the coolant that Toyota specifically recommends for their vehicles. If it were my car, I'd want to know if Toyota would accept a yellow coolant branded as "Global", as compatible with the pink stuff their dealers would use. Maybe, maybe not. Why take chances?
But like I said, it's your call.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
.I was speechless... What should I do??
I guess it's up to you. You seemed very suspicious that the job was not done correctly, and it seems that every response to your question agreed with your suspicions. They almost all suggested replacing the yellow antifreeze with genuine Toyota approved antifreeze (pink).

However you now seem reassured that the drive-through company did a top notch job because they said they did, after you asked them for confirmation. In fact you seem to be going out of your way to defend their actions.

So I guess your question has been answered.

Just called them and they said its a Toyota approved long life antifreeze, 5 years or 150000 miles.
It may say it is safe for Toyota engines, but it is unlikely to say Toyota approved.

I have a receipt for the service stating Global long life coolant, liability for them if something goes wrong.
Maybe if they are still in business, and you can prove it was the coolant they installed that caused internal damage to the engine (which would be technically impossible).

Toyota doesn't manufacture coolant. Global brand is the same as Toyota, just different label..
And apparently a different color! Is that what they told you?:wink

1 - 18 of 18 Posts