Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2009 Rav4 V6 4WD
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some digging, and most of the time it is the rear swaybar links. I've had to replace those a couple times in the past, but this is a totally different noise. I've checked the links and they are fine. This is a clunk that happens when going of particular kinds of bumps. Like, it won't do it if I go over a speed bump, but it will do it in a parking lot with uneven pavement. It just has the sound of something just swinging and thunking against something hollow. I've lifted it up on both sides and crawled around under it trying to find what could be clunking. The wheels are solid. No strange wear patterns in the tires or anything. Toe and camber seem to be correct. The wheels aren't moving when you try and shake them. Suspension seems solid. I'm just trying to think of what could be loose down there that would thunk around and not throw off the handling of the car. It almost sounds like something rolling around in your trunk. I've checked any open space that could have something loose in it and have literally come up empty. Any thoughts before I finally break down and take it to a shop and pay money to get this noise found?

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Probably a long shot, but the noise you describe sounds exactly like the noise our 2011 was making. I chased it for years. I eventually replaced the rear shocks and the noise is finally gone. One of the OEM shocks barfed all its oil out around 35K so I replaced them with Bilsteins, which I thought would be an upgrade. Looking back I think these were the source of the noise from day 1, but I never considered it until someone here on the forum posted their experience with the same noise and same shocks. Switching back to OEM spec KYBs completely eliminated the noise for me.

I don’t know if other replacement shocks might cause the same problem or not. Do you have aftermarket rear shocks installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
307 Posts
What Bilsteins (B4 or B6) were you guys using and from which gen? Gen 3 or Gen 4? I’m having a similar noise as described here. Suspension is all intact except for the rear trailing arms which I plan to R&R soon. However, I replaced the worn blown shocks with some Lexus NX ones (4th gen RAV setup) and now over a year later there is a small clunk.

· Registered
228 Posts
What Bilsteins (B4 or B6) were you guys using and from which gen? Gen 3 or Gen 4? I’m having a similar noise as described here. Suspension is all intact except for the rear trailing arms which I plan to R&R soon. However, I replaced the worn blown shocks with some Lexus NX ones (4th gen RAV setup) and now over a year later there is a small clunk.
I can't remember for certain, but I think I had the B4s. These were on a 2007 Gen 3 with the V6. I'd be surprised if your Lexus NX shocks failed after a year. Of course, I was suprised when the Bilsteins failed on my car after about 3 years and maybe 18,000 miles.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
No idea. These were the only Bilstein options at the time (about 8-9 years ago). I think I got them from Rock Auto I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts