Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. So when I accelerate I hear a strange noise.. Kinda reminds me of if you run your finger around the rim of a wine (crystal) glass..

Anyone have any clue what it could be?...

J

·
0 Posts
I know exactly what you mean...

I have the same exact noise in my RAV. It happens when I accelerate very quickly from a stop. The analogy of a finger around a wine glass is one I've even used myself. I actually test drove at least 3 different RAVs at the dealership, and each and every one I drove made the noise, so I had assumed that it was normal... It seems to have lessened a bit as the car gets more miles (around 3000 now). But it sure sounds like it's coming from the engine when it does happen.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Js.. ok cool.. Atleast I am not crazy.. heh.. :p

Thanks all.. Just never heard that noise on a car before.. :shock:

·
Registered
471 Posts
does the noise dissapear after shifting into second??
cuz my rav sometimes make a strange noise just like u described, but only when its shifting from 1 to 2.

R

·
0 Posts
I just got one a few days ago and mine makes that EXACT noise and it drives me nuts!!!

Is it worth a complaint if it doesn't go away? Or can nothing be done about it?

N

·
0 Posts
Inocense said:
Alright.. So when I accelerate I hear a strange noise.. Kinda reminds me of if you run your finger around the rim of a wine (crystal) glass..

Anyone have any clue what it could be?...
It's called "peeling out". You must have the V6. This is normal. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know exactly what you mean...

I have the same exact noise in my RAV. It happens when I accelerate very quickly from a stop. The analogy of a finger around a wine glass is one I've even used myself. I actually test drove at least 3 different RAVs at the dealership, and each and every one I drove made the noise, so I had assumed that it was normal... It seems to have lessened a bit as the car gets more miles (around 3000 now). But it sure sounds like it's coming from the engine when it does happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Rav4 2011 base model 158k miles, it's making that noise described above when accelerating from 5-20 mph but only intermittently (worse kind of problem there is) with no association to weather. If I had to guess, it's the drive train or rear differential. ANY INSIGHT INTO THIS PROBLEM IS APPRECIATED AS I'M TAKING RAV4 TO SHOP WED JULY 3 FOR A TRANSMISSION FLUSH AND WE'LL HAVE IT UP ON THE RACK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts