Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Hybrid XLE,

I went to the hardware store the other day with my dog in the back seat. I rolled both back windows down, because he likes it that way. When I got to going somewhere over 40 to 50 mph I started feeling a thump, thump thump of buffeting wind in my ears. It was pretty severe, to the point of being uncomfortable to my ears. It did not go away until I rolled up the back windows. I did not experience this with all 4 windows rolled down. It was still present when I had the back windows down and the roof open either partially or completely.

I do have the tonneau cover in the back so it could have been it oscillating.

Anybody else experienced this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Normal. Its a weird pressure thing. It happens on most vehicles with only having rear windows down.

If you crack the front windows, it will go away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The infamous Coke bottle effect. Has been around for ages. Its the cabin pressure up front rising and releasing as air flows over the plane of the back windows. Its always resolved by opening the fronts at speed so the air can go in the first opening and out the second, otherwise, it just builds up to a point and reverses.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Same happens in my 2011. I tried the rear Weathertech window shields. No help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First car I noticed this on was a 94' Caprice, new body style. Could not be driven with only the rear windows down.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Yep, a very common buffeting effect especially on many four door cars.
What I've done on my cars (which is all of them for the past 20+ years) is open the sunroof fully and then open the right rear window. Gives a downdraft right down on top of me with no buffeting. I control the volume of air by how much the window is open. Just did it today when I was warm from a hike and it was around 60F.

Reactions: Texas Rav4

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same issue with my previous car (Pontiac vibe) but not coming from the rear window. It was from the sunroof!
With RAV4, I noticed sunroof does not make that noise but rear windows do the job the same as my previous car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts