Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Odometer and turn signals HELP!

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  johnrav41998 
#1 ·
Today when I was driving, I saw that my trip odometer no longer turned and my turn signals lights left and right no longer go ?

My hazard lights go !

Does anyone know what the problem might be ? :crying

#5 ·
All the fuses are in good order also the relais .

I checkt under the hood and under the driverside of the car for any loos wires .

I also took everything out i mean all the connectors and cleaned all the pins on the connectors and put some copperpaste on everything .

But nothing helps it still won't blink left or right and the odometer don't go eighter.

When i pu my alarmblinkers on they do work .

I am standing here with my hand in my hair not nowing what to do next . :mad:

#7 ·
I am going grazy out here :mad:

I did even put extra negative wire got all the dash out can't find anything wrong !

I can hear the relais from the blinkers kliking when i push the panikbutton with the red triangle.

#9 ·
I can hear the relais from the blinkers kliking when i push the panikbutton with the red triangle.
Are you saying you know the emergency flashers are working because they make a sound?

Have you looked at the lights on the outside to see if they are really working? Do the right and left indicators on the dashboard light up for the emergency flashers? The same questions apply for the right & left turn signals.

We need to know if you have a problem with the flasher circuit or are you having a problem with the dashboard indicators, since you also have a problem with the trip odometer.

Is it only trip odometer not working, or does the main odometer not work as well?

Edit: The wiring diagrams show that a 7.5 A fuse labelled "TURN" located on the interior "lower finish panel" is responsible for the turn signals. It looks like this is located above the driver left knee on North American vehicles.

#10 ·
Okay update.

The odometer suddenly is working again.

However, the blinkers are still not working.

When I turn on the emergency blinkers and I go around the car than all the blinkers go.

I can also see this on the dashboard the green arrows both blink.

If I use the usual blinkers so left and right, nothing happens.

All fuses are okay, I've checked them all and all cleaned and sprayed them with WD40 electrical.

I've had took off the left and right kick panel.

I've took out the dashboard.

I've took off the left arm on the steeringwheel.

I've checked the fuses and relays under the hood.

I've took off all the wiring from the ecu.

I've cleaned all negative wiring in front off the car behind the radiator and behind the kickpanels inside.

I've cleaned the blinker relay that sits behind the driverside kickpanel.

I THINK NOW ITS TIME TO SET THE CAR ON FIRE !!!!!! :mad:

#11 ·
To fix the turn signals you'll need the schematics and someone with electrical signal tracing ability.

I do know that in many vehicles the 4-way emergency flasher switch disables the left/right turn signals when it's pushed. If the 4-way switch is not reconnecting them when it's released the signals won't work. A loose connection at the 4-way switch or a bad switch can cause the problem if the 4.1 RAV4 is wired that way.

Reactions: johnrav41998
#12 ·
With the additional information you have provided ( especially that the trip odometer is working) you have confirmed the trouble is with the signal lights and not a dashboard problem.

I have looked at the schematics that Dr. Dyno mentioned, and I can confirm that the problem is most likely with the 4-way emergency flasher switch. The circuit for the directional signals pass through that switch when it is in the non-operated position.

You can determine this is the cause by removing the 4-way flasher switch and unplugging the connector from it. Place a jumper wire between the 2 red/green wires and your directional signals should work normally.

#13 ·
You could be right because i have a problem with that switch i have to hold it to work.

I ordered a new one and then i hope it will be solved.

I will keep you informed and thank you very much.

#14 ·
Today i have changed the emergency flasher switch and now everything works again so indeed the fault was the emergency flasher switch .

Thank you all for your help :D

#15 ·
Very good! :cheers: I'm glad Rick and I were able to save you from tearing any more of your RAV4 apart - or :egad:any more of your hair out!

Reactions: johnrav41998
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.