Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change my front brakes today and can?t decide between these two brake pads. I purchased them both (they will get used eventually)... any experience with the akebono proact vs stock?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting ready to change my front brakes today and can?t decide between these two brake pads. I purchased them both (they will get used eventually)... any experience with the akebono proact vs stock?
Just replaced mine last week with an Akebono Proact, seems to be fine....

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The Akebono will out perform Advics (OEM for Toyota). The Advics may last longer ? There are over 445 reviews here for the Akebono Pro Act along with some other brands to compare it with.

Akebono Performance Pads have better braking than the Akebono Pro Act if that is more important.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed them yesterday and selected the Akebono. Followed the standard procedures (clean everything thoroughly, grease the pins, guide and shims, and reassemble) took a drive to seat the new pads and rotors stopping firmly a few times. This morning driving to church, I would get to a stop sign and the brakes would hum a little and vibrate. It this keeps up, they will go back to the store. Anyone know if this is just the brakes seating ? I can also tell you that the akebono require much more pedal pressure to come to a stop compared to adivics oem.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Changed them yesterday and selected the Akebono. Followed the standard procedures (clean everything thoroughly, grease the pins, guide and shims, and reassemble) took a drive to seat the new pads and rotors stopping firmly a few times. This morning driving to church, I would get to a stop sign and the brakes would hum a little and vibrate. It this keeps up, they will go back to the store. Anyone know if this is just the brakes seating ? I can also tell you that the akebono require much more pedal pressure to come to a stop compared to adivics oem.
It should not vibrate. Did you put in new rotors? Did you wash the coating off the rotors? Did you bed the brakes in ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did all of those things. Have been changing brakes for 22 years. With my own vehicle, I am very particular. I always remove the boots, use a solution of simple green and scrub scrub the boots, pins and brace pin slots until completely clean Takes the old grease right off. Even used some very fine steel wool on one of the pins. Then rinse, dry, grease with Toyota brake grease and reassemble. In 22 years I have never had the vibration. Just wondering if the new rotors (Toyota oem) and proact pads need to seat a little more. After 20 minutes of 40 -5 mph 50 - 5 and 60 -5 driving, you would think it would be fine.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
I've had excellent performance from the Advics brake pads. Got them on Amazon for a lot less than OEM from the dealer, but they ARE OEM in every respect. Except they come with anti-squeal shims for which the dealer charges extra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a long drive on the way home and they seem to be getting better. Lets see through stop and go traffic in the morning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I drove the akebono proact brake pads back and forth to work for a week (80 miles round trip in heavy stop and go traffic). My impressions: the akebonos slow the vehicle with minimal brake pressure. During periods of braking from 40 - 5 they seem very good with nice initial stopping power and a slightly aggressive bite. When braking from 65+ to a stop (like when cut off by another car) the brakes seemed to require a high level of pressure. They seemed to start to brake, and then the car felt like it was rolling forward when it shouldn?t. I am not sure what this is called, but trying to come to a dead stop from higher speed, I had to swerve a few times as the brakes seemed to slow the car to approx 15-20 and then didn?t feel like they were working (quite scary). I ordered advics ultra premium from amazon and installed them on Thursday evening. Wow, what a huge difference. These felt as though they smoothly stopped the car as intended. The brake fade issue was fixed and with several hard stops on the way to work, these felt much much better on the car. I was a little worried as the pad surface looks smaller, however, after measuring and calculating the sq mm, the advics are actually larger. They are wider and use the entire surface of the rotor.

Akebono - seemed harder, moderate brake fade
Advics - no brake fade, stops smoother and more predictably

All in all verdict, I would order the advice branded ultra premium (AD1211) pads and not look back. The RAV4 seems to stop much faster, smoother and there isn?t any brake fade.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
How are the Advics pads holding up for you?

Toyota appears to be selling three lines of brake pads now - factory original, TCMC premium (made by Advics and does not include shims) and TCMC (most are made by Akebono and includes shims).

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
What's up Critic? Haven't seen you for a while on BITOG. Still detailing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts