Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

I would like to install a factory OEM Fog Light kit and do the install per normal Toyota spec so it operates with full functionality. However, I would also like the lights to work independently of the stock wiring harness via a separate switch.

Question: Would there be any theoretical problem with adding a second power line w/fuse and switch and attach it to the main wiring post fuse/relay? (Obviously would never turn both switches on).

Reason is I would like to have a secondary/off road lighting system that includes the fog lights and some other auxiliary lighting components.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks,

Doug
2010 Rav4 Base

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
#1 having 2 power sources to 1 component is asking for trouble...
#2 I have a 2010 sport and did something similar...I made a few wiring tweaks to my stock fog light system that allows my fog lights to be on ANYTIME the engine is running...I can turn them on and off via the factory switch...the reason I did this was to use my fog lights as daytime running lights...I have the xb led fog lights and they look great as drls...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up:

Would there be anyway to wire the lights on an aftermarket switch and ONLY tap into the factory harness so the Fog Light Indicator on the dash would come on when the lights come on.

Basically, by pass the relay but still have that sought after green light come on.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You probably could get just the fog light icon to come on...I didn't care if it came on independent of the headlight icon so I didn't research it further...all depends on how much time you have and how much you know...I believe a member with a 4.4 accomplished this by tapping a wire in the engine bay coming out of the computer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
You probably could get just the fog light icon to come on...I didn't care if it came on independent of the headlight icon so I didn't research it further...all depends on how much time you have and how much you know...I believe a member with a 4.4 accomplished this by tapping a wire in the engine bay coming out of the computer...
I meant a separate switch just to turn on the fogs without the drl or low beams needing to be on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts