Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several threads on how to install fog lights.

My question is how good are they? Are they a worthwhile improvement in lighting?

I have a 2017 LE

·
Registered
298 Posts
I see several threads on how to install fog lights.

My question is how good are they? Are they a worthwhile improvement in lighting?

I have a 2017 LE
If you have never had them, fog lights are great. There are lots of complaints about the stock low beam projectors, so the fog lights are an improvement to them. Many owners have upgraded to either LED bulbs or gone to HID bulbs. The LED bulbs have a wide variety of beam patterns so shop carefully. Many of the cheaper ones are junk; their beam pattern is terrible. Probably a great enhancement for your Colorado weather. The OEM units from Toyota are kind of pricey and the biggest complaint seems to be that they use a very low wattage halogen bulb, an H16 that's only 19 watts. The stock units can be significantly improved by changing the bulbs to LED bulbs. Lots of lamps available on e-bay, some with LED bulbs in them already. If your car does not have them, then you need the lamp housing and the mounting bracket. The brackets are also available on e-bay as a separate item if desired. I would suggest getting the new fog lights, see how you like them, then get some small pieces of Lamin-X yellow stick on film. It will protect the lenses, but it will also give you some contrasting yellow light for the snow, rain and fog.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Stock fog lights actually put out a reasonable amount of light in a good broad, low pattern. The light is generally most noticeable immediately in front of the car and out to the sides in a relatively wide, but shallow field of view (they don't "throw" light very far down the road at all). If you do install them AND upgrade to LED bulbs you can get quite a bit of output that would make a noticeable difference at longer distances.

The stock low / high beam projectors are really limited in what they can do with standard halogen bulbs. If you don't want the hassle of installing the fog lights (it seems like a lot of work unless you're technically inclined), another option would be to just upgrade the headlight bulbs to HID. It would probably cost about the same or less and would probably give you a substantially larger amount of effective light at longer ranges. Generally installing HID lamps and their associated ballasts is more or less a plug-and-play project aside from finding places to secure the HID ballasts so they're not rattling around in the engine bay. I probably would have gone that route had my vehicle not come with fog lights to begin with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have had fog lights on most of my cars and think they help a lot in many situations. And more so if the headlights are higher. Not necessarily for the extra amount of light, but where it is directed, as said above.

I haven't priced OEM yet. I'm not as likely to take on installation projects like that with the new cars and maybe a little less dexterity.

I bought the RAV beginning of summer, and haven't driven much at night much. Won't go out late much and have taken the other car when we did. I didn't think the stock headlight were bad. They are better than my '01 Passat. The sharp cutoff will be good in the snow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts