Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here, had their Toyota dealer install the OEM fog light's on their new BASE MODEL RAV4's....If so how much did it go for?

Some recommendation's on that note please.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I checked with the Canadian dealer I bought my bodyside mouldings from, my cost is near $500+ shpg for the lamp kit which I thought was exorbitant since the wiring to the lamps is already there, donno what the kit contains, but I suspect all it consists of is the lamps, switch(probably a new turn signal stalk) and a relay, possibly a connection in the fuse box, didn't look at it yet.

I'm working on the local dealer to just get the lamps and brackets and do the wiring to a rocker switch, I'd have to buy it as a collision part, she wasn't there today, tho.

Yesterday afternoon I removed and painted the blackouts with plastic primer for now, even that looks better!!

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I got a quote from my dealer of $264.75 w/tax just for the fog lamps and mounting brackets, that's with a new car discount, cost was almost double that without the discount.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a quote from my dealer of $264.75 w/tax just for the fog lamps and mounting brackets, that's with a new car discount, cost was almost double that without the discount.
so are you going to buy them and install them? let us know how it goes because i'm also interested in doing the same thing

thanks

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also interested in fixing the OEM fog lights. Anyone who has done so, can please share how its done. Thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
I just ordered Hella 1300 driving light kit, they shouldn't be too hard to install and they come with everything except a relay, only cost about $52 shipped.
Please let us know how you take off the panels in the back of the fog light housing.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I didn't have to remove much, just remove the two 10mm bolts and one 10mm nut that hold the little air dam on under each front corner and I think one push pin and you can access the fog lamps from there. The shielding is flexible enough to fold up and out of the way, it doesn't have to be removed. If you want to have more room, remove the shielding under the engine, it's just held on with push pins and 10mm bolts. :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone please post some pic's, kind of a step-by-step installation
process. Thank's.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Raffor said:
Did you use the remote switch or did you wire it into the cabin?
Haven't done it yet, just ordered the Hella lamp kit yesterday, it won't be here for at least a week. I'll post pics after I receive them and get em installed. I didn't want the OEM lamps bad enough to spend $265 on em, and the Hella lamps are probably better lamps for a lot less money. I may end up buying the OEM lamp mounting brackets if I can't make the Hella brackets work, they were only $40 from my dealer. I'll mount a switch in one of the OEM locations on the left side of the dash where the power switch would be located next to the instrument lighting control.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just bought a set of driving lights at Wal-Mart for $20, fits the hole exactly. Plus an additional relay for $5 and some other HW for $5.

To get to the Fog light space you have to remove the front flaps and the plastic retainer from the fender, and then you can pull out the plastic inner fender to gain access to the lights.

The worst is the right side, since the washer fluid reservoir gets in the way.

You'll have to get a bit intuitive with the mounting, use some angle lines or electric mounting brackets. It is not that complex. On the other hand to set the lights you'll have to leave the cover off till it gets dark.

Anyway I left the factory wiring untouched and I ran wires across, hooked up to the 30 AMP relay. I only cut into one of the High Beam wires so the relay could turn the driving lights also on, when the High Beams are turned on.

Apparently, this somehow disabled my DRL. Oh well!. Otherwise everything functions well. Do not forget to isolate everything properly and use a plastic housing to run the wires in.

It should take you about 3 hours to do, comfortably.

Should you decide to install a switch instead of the relay (I find the relay solution much more convenient), you should add another hour.

So if you have the base model and no fog lights, consider this $30 solution! How much is the factory kit sells for? $195 or so?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts