Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
What did you use to cut the bumper? Did you cut it with some sort of hand/coping saw or something powered like a jigsaw or something more specialized like a hot knife and what sort of edge were you left with?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did you use to cut the bumper? Did you cut it with some sort of hand/coping saw or something powered like a jigsaw or something more specialized like a hot knife and what sort of edge were you left with?
I used a 14" wood hand saw, I was in the garage staring at the bumper, staring at the saw, staring at the bumper, and one thing led to another. I used a file to clean the edges off.

I used a measuring tape and masking tape and a sharpie to make the line, I criss/crossed it twice, thought "Oh no" I'm gonna make a mess of this.

The side cladding has never been painted, it's original plastic cleaned with acetone, the front bumper was really oxidized and I didnt have the time, so I painted it with the cheapest Flat black paint I could find in some one stop-light town hardware store one day.

And hey, meh.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like the complexion of a desperate Teenager. Looks like **** from an inch away, but from a distance I think It looks cool AF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you get the parts?

I am building my first offshore project which is a 1998 Rav 4. I'm having trouble finding the accessories that I am interested in. I want to put a push bar and some sort of hood scoop on mine and so your thread is interesting. Can I ask where you sourced the push bar and scoop?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
There is a previous thread on treating bumpers and trim..... Lots of good info......

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Your mods look pretty cool, by the way! I have considered a real bumper and yours looks good! Love the "looks like it belongs there" scoop!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am building my first offshore project which is a 1998 Rav 4. I'm having trouble finding the accessories that I am interested in. I want to put a push bar and some sort of hood scoop on mine and so your thread is interesting. Can I ask where you sourced the push bar and scoop?
Sorry it took me so long to see this, The Scoops are off a ST185 Celica 3S-GTE that I found in a scrapyard.

The Pushbar was on a purple Rav4 I saw at a red light, I asked the guy "How much you want for the pushbar?" He said "$500 bucks and you can have the whole Rav4".

This gave me the spare hood to do the Scoop Mod, the Push Bar, and a variety of spare parts like headlights, tail lights, etc. I scrapped the rest of "Barney" a few days later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol: I love this photo :thumbs_up:
We were living in Fort Mac for a year, and I did this Mod in the living room of our apartment. Yes, there were Sparks flying throughout the Apartment as I cut these parts free from the hood with an Angle Grinder starting at around midnight and finishing around 7am lol.

It was one of those days. I would love to hear the thoughts of the people watching while having a smoke on their balcony at the apartment across the street. Would have looked quite, odd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know Fort McMurray. Not much to do there and working on your ride is one of the better things to do. Good place to own a Rav though.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Very cool idea and nicely done! One wouldn't know it was pieced together. AND: you must not be married; Car parts scattered on the couch..........:wink

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool idea and nicely done! One wouldn't know it was pieced together. AND: you must not be married; Car parts scattered on the couch..........:wink
Oh I'm Married, going on six years now, we have two BEAUTIFUL Cars.

No but really, Child No.1 is the Rav4 GTT, and Child No. 2 is the Caldina GTT.

We spoil ourselves with the sound of silence every Saturday Morning, It's Horrible >:D

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Six years! Nice; great to have a companion who "gets it" and doesn't mind having car parts in the house. My first VW overhaul was done on my apartment living room floor; no where else to do it. Carrying it downstairs was a trick! Ah: I remember your Caldina GTT. I believe it was the star of a crack-me-up video you posted of a recent Silent Saturday Morning........ involving a little smoking tire action....:D>:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts