Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pearl is gonna soon be sporting new OEM LED fog lights.

As a matter of interest I also ordered LED H11 fog bulbs only from VLEDs whom I've got some history with and who do not sell garbage..I did not opt for a cheap lamp (these were $60 usd per pair)

And doing some gum shoe work I surmise this OEM Lexus fog I ordered from ebay is the same as the ones I used on my RX350...I accessed the RAV4 housing and short of actually removing the RAV4 fog assembly I verified it is the correct lamp so I'll report back once all the goods arrive. As this lamp is OEM the housing is "tuned" for the LED lamp so focus/cutoff should be proper...not like simply adding an LED lamp which basically just provides an aesthetic result..

Here is the same lamp on the Lexus..
With the OEM halogens

With the new LED

Comparing the two..halogen on right ,,

And here one really sees the color temp variance between the HID headlamps and halogen fogs

Reactions: ELZZZORRO

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mod feel free to move to exterior category if deemed appropriate

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep us posted on how you make out... I'm interested to see them on a Rav!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received the LEDs (lamps only) from VLED today..(can't believe how quickly they arrived !!) and I put them in...took about 20-30 mins..but my daughter had to take off with Pearl so I'll post a pic or two later.. but doing a quick 5 minute assessment it appears they match the LED headlamps bang on..also I have a few tips for those who decide to go this way..I'll explain later

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey brother that sounds awesome. You thing you can post a picture of the led light bulbs and the housing of your headlights. I been looking all over but I can find anything. I would appreciate it if you would do that

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so here is the comparison (for color purposes) of the OEM halogen versus the new LED...the images are not the best but one can get a good idea of how off the OEM halogen temperature is compared to the OEM headlamps...the LEDs are clearly a vast improvement in the matching of the OEM LED headlamps

I'll provide some night shots also soon..

OEM LEDs

VLEG 850 lumen 5000k lamps

A quick shot with the new VLEDs last night in the garage..

Reactions: ELZZZORRO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice project, lights look good. I want to do the same but I am concern with functionality.

I do own a 2016 RAV4 LTD and I don't like the obvious colour temperature between the LED and the halogen fog lights. I am not a lighting expert... however, light with a shorter wavelength will disperse more easily in fog, thus light with longer wavelengths are more resistant to dispersion. Yellow light has a wavelength of about 577-597 nanometers; on the visible light spectrum, yellow has the third longest wavelength. The human eye is most sensitive to yellow and green light, so I believe the OEM halogen fog lights will offer better visibility in bad weather conditions (fog, rain, snow). And, ultimately: isn't this the reason why the RAV4's have these specific halogen fog lights?

Do your new led fog light bounce off of the wet road blinding oncoming traffic?

Note:
I apologize for my English.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't drive this car so I'm not familiar with the new fog performances...you can also get these lamps in yellow I think..visit VLED website

·
Registered
42 Posts
...light with a shorter wavelength will disperse more easily in fog, thus light with longer wavelengths are more resistant to dispersion. Yellow light has a wavelength of about 577-597 nanometers...
Well, the red light wavelength is 700 nanometers. Does it mean we have to use red fog lights? The yellow fog lights don't help much in real life. It just a theory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You wouldn't remember the part number for the led fog light you ordered? or have a link to the ones you ordered. I have a 2016 RAV4 SE AWD with led headlights. These would look great if they fit. Thanks

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never installed the LED oem lights as the LED "bulbs" work great...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts