Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I bought wheels from a Highlander, took them to Americas Tires for tires, and had them install whatever they had. I've heard of people buying from Amazon, installing themselves (with tires off), then going to tires store to sync the tpms to the ecu.

Dr J

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Good question! I'm at the point where we must soon replace tires on both cars and it would be stupid not to replace the TPMS units (10 in all) at the same time. At discount tire that would add an additional $300 + tax to the tire bill times two cars. OUCH! If I go that route then I have no choice but to cheap out on tires which is something I don't want to do. It's quite a dilemma on a fixed income. This is the kind of crap that keeps me from going to sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Good question! I'm at the point where we must soon replace tires on both cars and it would be stupid not to replace the TPMS units (10 in all) at the same time. At discount tire that would add an additional $300 + tax to the tire bill times two cars. OUCH! If I go that route then I have no choice but to cheap out on tires which is something I don't want to do. It's quite a dilemma on a fixed income. This is the kind of crap that keeps me from going to sleep at night.
I got my DENSO 550-0103 from ebay for 25 each a few months ago . I wrote all the ID numbers of the new sensors before I gave them to the tire shop to swap them with the old ones when i had the new tires installed. cost me 80 for four tires mounted and balanced ( I didnt do the spare . just saved the id number from it). I used techstream to register the new TPMS and the spare. It took a few miles before the tmps light stopped blinking.

DENSO Auto Parts has them for 35.40 each

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
We're in the same metaphorical boat as you. Checked with Ebay and Walmart and currently there are no new TPMS sensors available for our RAV4s which are notably less expensive than the quote you had from Discount Tire. Am going to check with Costco and a local tire shop before deciding. The nearest Discount Tire and installers for other online order tires are two to two and a half hour drive from our home.

Am thinking of disabling the TPMS system warning on my RAV following Dr. Dyno'a procedure. Will not disable the system on my wife's vehicle.

Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire. :)
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes! Want the TPMS to work again? Pull the resistor and plug the cable back into the ECU. A five resistor pack is $1.19 at Radio Shack (271-132). My TPMS ECU is located in front of the glove box - easily accessed by unclipping the air damper on the lower right side of the glove box, dropping the box down and removing it.

In my testing the 3.3K series resistor drops the battery voltage from 12.22V to 4.64V on the pink terminal with key-on-engine-off and from 14.02V to 5.32V engine-running. (With the TPMS ECU connected (and the resistor removed) the pink wire was at 4.37V and the red was 4.97V with either key-on-engine-off or engine running.)

Disclaimer: I have no reason the believe this same method won't work on any 4.3 RAV4 but checks should still be done to confirm the voltages are close to my readings on the blue and pink wires.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
We're in the same metaphorical boat as you. Checked with Ebay and Walmart and currently there are no new TPMS sensors available for our RAV4s which are notably less expensive than the quote you had from Discount Tire. Am going to check with Costco and a local tire shop before deciding. The nearest Discount Tire and installers for other online order tires are two to two and a half hour drive from our home.

Am thinking of disabling the TPMS system warning on my RAV following Dr. Dyno'a procedure. Will not disable the system on my wife's vehicle.

Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire. :)
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes! Want the TPMS to work again? Pull the resistor and plug the cable back into the ECU. A five resistor pack is $1.19 at Radio Shack (271-132). My TPMS ECU is located in front of the glove box - easily accessed by unclipping the air damper on the lower right side of the glove box, dropping the box down and removing it.

In my testing the 3.3K series resistor drops the battery voltage from 12.22V to 4.64V on the pink terminal with key-on-engine-off and from 14.02V to 5.32V engine-running. (With the TPMS ECU connected (and the resistor removed) the pink wire was at 4.37V and the red was 4.97V with either key-on-engine-off or engine running.)

Disclaimer: I have no reason the believe this same method won't work on any 4.3 RAV4 but checks should still be done to confirm the voltages are close to my readings on the blue and pink wires.
pacific pmv-107j is what is written on the DENSO 550-0103 sensor.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I hear ya, Tex, but you can compare the 300+ bucks to the cost of a 2" piece of electrical tape, times 2 cars. Just have to check the TP every now and then, just like we've been doing all these years. Don't know how we've managed, heh?:nerd

·
Registered
279 Posts
When I got tires at America's Tires, I had them install a fresh set with matching spare. Don't know what brand, but it's been working for years.
If you do for America's Tires, ask them what's the difference between their metal stem vs rubber stem Tom's. I got metals on the RAV4, but they gave me rubber on my gx470.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts