Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supplies: OEM Projectors, Switchback LEDs, HIDs

Main tools: 10mm, Phillips screwdriver

Brief directions: Remove or loosen front bumper, loosen / remove upper bumper support bar, swap lamps

Main differences: Different beam pattern than USA HID, H11 Low Beam, 7440 Signal, City Wedge Light

Unique on my install: 7443 switchbacks in projector housing using OEM wiring, HID Ballasts taped to ballast mount area. I didn't use any expensive or special parts in this build. Since this is more a first time experiment for me I used tools and old spares around the house to do the work. Nothing fancy installed yet.

What I would do different: Buy a nice matching set from one seller if possible. Do it sooner and don't let the bumper removal scare you. Also be super organized storing the bumper fasteners.

Conclusion: This was worth it as the light output is superior and modern compared to the USA reflector housings.

Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Grille Automotive side marker light

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Fluid
Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Automotive tire Sky

Reactions: Richsadams

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do know the cutoff is incorrect for the US market right?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
Beyond knowing it, it was the 4th thing I said in the post. This cutoff is better than the glare aim my reflector housings had.

The cut off can be fixed by baking open the housings and flipping the cutoff shields over. I already had so much time invested I wanted to get up and running before I invested any more time. I may rework the install in the future to get a better beam pattern for my own viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had taken off my bumper 6-7 times and rework/rebake the HID retrofit to get it properly adjusted, so I know all about time invested. Just saying be careful not to aim too high since you'll blind oncoming traffic before your rework.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had taken off my bumper 6-7 times and rework/rebake the HID retrofit to get it properly adjusted, so I know all about time invested. Just saying be careful not to aim too high since you'll blind oncoming traffic before your rework.

I'm having the opposite problem on one namely the right side wont aim high enough which is concerning since I need to lift the rear a little more (about 1") to level out. I was able to get the right side much higher using the side adjustment knob as for some reason it also made a drastic difference on height. In other words my hot spot is a little more centered than intended.

PS I did see your morimoto install and was greatly inspired by it. Originally I was going to try a cheap projector install on a spare OEM USA set but decided I should just do morimotos if Im going to exert the labor. Then Instead of morimotos I got some OEM luxury car lights which were bright, beautiful and stunning. I baked one lamp apart and started testing but unfortunately after all the time invested I realized it would be even more difficult than a Morimoto retrofit as I basically would have had to slice out the whole rear of the assembly and build a custom solid rear assembly. Then life caught up to me for a while. I still wanted a light upgrade despite the business so I opted for the OEM route to get on with it. I am very curious to know if aftermarket projectors can be a direct replacement in the OEM housing (or even aftermarket housings e.g. make aftermarket assemblies usable).

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think I'm at my limit as well for raising the cutoff beams to height for proper projection and hot spot, not much else can be done. There are horizontal adjustment screws, but those are covered up for the '06-'08 years, not even available on the '09-'12 years. I had looked into getting the Euro or Japan OEM headlight assemblies since they seemed easier to work with than retrofitting. However, I ended up going the retrofitting route since (1) it was cheaper due to DIY and (2) more selections to choose from. There are a few YT videos that I had watched and along with some advice from @rav4.32010, it "seemed" easy enough, but it always never is.

There are aftermarket HID and LED projectors that can fit into the OEM housing through custom brackets, so you don't need to cut/slice/hack up the mounting assembly. You will need to buy long bolts and washers to make sure they are properly aligned before adjusting for vertical height. I had done this with my wife's '12 HL when retrofitting the G5-R D2S projectors, which was much easier. The RX350 projectors were a direct fit without using the brackets, but I didn't know until after I had opened up the headlight assembly.
Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Drinkware Motor vehicle

You had indicated the OEM projector uses H11, does it look like this on the left? If so, then you can likely upgrade them.
Automotive lighting Camera accessory Silver Automotive design Font

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm at my limit as well for raising the cutoff beams to height for proper projection and hot spot, not much else can be done. There are horizontal adjustment screws, but those are covered up for the '06-'08 years, not even available on the '09-'12 years. I had looked into getting the Euro or Japan OEM headlight assemblies since they seemed easier to work with than retrofitting. However, I ended up going the retrofitting route since (1) it was cheaper due to DIY and (2) more selections to choose from. There are a few YT videos that I had watched and along with some advice from @rav4.32010, it "seemed" easy enough, but it always never is.

There are aftermarket HID and LED projectors that can fit into the OEM housing through custom brackets, so you don't need to cut/slice/hack up the mounting assembly. You will need to buy long bolts and washers to make sure they are properly aligned before adjusting for vertical height. I had done this with my wife's '12 HL when retrofitting the G5-R D2S projectors, which was much easier. The RX350 projectors were a direct fit without using the brackets, but I didn't know until after I had opened up the headlight assembly.
View attachment 176312

You had indicated the OEM projector uses H11, does it look like this on the left? If so, then you can likely upgrade them.
View attachment 176314
I haven't taken the front apart but I did attempt to flip the shield from the rear (failed). It definitely has the 4 bolt pattern (photo).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Flash photography Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is the best place to get a pair of good condition JDM 09'-12' 42-48. I have some morimoto M led 2.0 I'd like to retrofit in a set!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I haven't taken the front apart but I did attempt to flip the shield from the rear (failed). It definitely has the 4 bolt pattern (photo).
That looks almost like the exact one I pulled out of the HL. The red circled screws, one hidden, that hold the projector into the assembly. The green circled screws hold the cutoff shield and projector lens in place. I think you'd need to bake and remove the headlight lens and shroud from the assembly, otherwise if you remove the green screws, the projector lens would become dislodged inside, unless there's enough grab for the screws to secure it. It didn't seem like Veliksam had to go that route in his post.
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Motor vehicle Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera

The stock H11 projectors from the HL didn't have a sharp cutoff like your Euro OE showed when I used a PnP set, the G5-R was very noticeable. This was about 25' away comparison, I sold off the Morimoto XB 5500K since then and is currently using the Osram XNL 4200K.
Building Lighting Electricity Facade Gas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts