Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe VIP remote start from the factory shut off when you try to enter the car. It is a strange set up. You can start the car and warm it up from your home, but when you try to enter the car by using the fob or the key, the engine shuts off. So you have to start the engine again once you get in. All of the other remote starter I had in the pass didnt do this. I am wondering if anyone else out there have the VIP remote starter and does it work that way too? It just seem to me that so starting the car twice create a wear and tear on the engine and the starter.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ya know.. I was loooking at the operation guuide for this remote starter too and saw th esame thing and thought 'no way' its a mistake. Why they heck would that make you restart it after you get in?? How stupid??!! Now I know we are NOT getting this. Was thinking about after market remote start/security system with auto lock/unlock of the doors after start up for $400 installed..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, I'm slightly less than thrilled with mine. I did mention it on the card they include to get your comments about the unit. If enough people complain, maybe they'll change the design. It's still handy to have, but it could be better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does the oem remote starter bypass engine immobilizer feature? If it doesn't, then it makes sense. As you still need your key to start the engine.

I've been thinking to get after market remote starter, but they all bypass the engine immobilizer feature. So, I am still thinking about it.

TSQ

·
Registered
150 Posts
That is weak usability, man, thanks for posting this. It cured me of desiring the OEM remote start. Hopefully those of you opting to purchase it aftermarket will let us know your impressions of that.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
tsq2006 said:
Does the oem remote starter bypass engine immobilizer feature? If it doesn't, then it makes sense. As you still need your key to start the engine.
Ahhh... now I get it. Upon first reading this thread... I thought it didn't make sense that you had to RESTART the vehicle before you could drive off. But now I understand... this way... it doesn't allow you to drive WITHOUT the keys in the ignition :roll:

·
Registered
168 Posts
It does make some sense, however, Toyota could have put some kind of logic/mechanism into the engine immobilizer that would not shutoff the engine but still require the key to drive off.

Something like:

if ( engine started using remote ) {
start engine;
disable shifter;

if ( key inserted and turned to II position ) {
enable shifter;
}
}
drive away happy;

Hopefully that didn't confuse anyone. Been doing some programming today.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I'm sure Toyota had the smartkey remote fob with pushbutton start on the dashboard in mind when they designed the remote start system. It probably integrates very well when it actually exists in your country! :?

But yes, I can see the why it would stop the engine when the door is opened... I can imagine a liability issue with people getting carjacked without the owner even being in the car! :shock:

So does that mean an interlock system doesn't let you remote start with any of the doors held open?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Tony- what he means is .. If you open the door with the remote it still shuts off.
If you opened it with out the remote I can see it shutting off but using the remote? it has to be your car if you can open it with the remote..

karrock said:
I'm sure Toyota had the smartkey remote fob with pushbutton start on the dashboard in mind when they designed the remote start system. It probably integrates very well when it actually exists in your country! :?

But yes, I can see the why it would stop the engine when the door is opened... I can imagine a liability issue with people getting carjacked without the owner even being in the car! :shock:

So does that mean an interlock system doesn't let you remote start with any of the doors held open?

C

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
Tony- what he means is .. If you open the door with the remote it still shuts off.
If you opened it with out the remote I can see it shutting off but using the remote? it has to be your car if you can open it with the remote..

karrock said:

I'm thinking this is more for a safety reason. If you do remote start then just about anyone could break in and steal your vehicle. At first the system didn't make sense at all, but now it does to me. This way if you remote start a person can't just break right in. All it takes is a few seconds, especially if say your just trying to warm up the car before you go. Sometimes you'll wait 5 minutes to warm up on a cold winter day, giving plenty of time for a break in. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My last remote starter was a aftermarket version and it did not shut off when I enter. As soon as you step on the brake pedal without the key in the ignition, the car will shut off. Without the key in the ignition, the car will not shift into drive, so there is no worry of people stealing the car.
I am sure Toyota design it to shut off upon entry for liability reasons. Toyota being a muiti billion dollor compnay, probably had about a dezon lawyers studing liability issue concerning the remote starting unit. I remember reading somewhere that a woman got hurt upon entry when the remote starter was engaged, the car started moving and she was dragged by the car.
I purchase the OEM remote starter VIP package, which include the remote starter and the security system. The reason I bought it is because I can use the OEM key fob and not have to carry another after market fob and that bulky key that comes with the RAV4. The only after system I came across that can use the OEM key fob was a Viper security unit, which basically just monitor the interior lights for entry and sound the alrm when the interior lights are on. It was not the best system for security and the technician was not familair with how to install it on the new RAV4 since it is so new.
To all the people out their with the immoblizer keys, you will have to give up a ignition key to install the remote starter, unless you buy the OEM version.

J

·
0 Posts
then what's so good about having the remote starter?
there is no meaning to it..

S

·
0 Posts
jjong9785 said:
if you live in area where it is too cold or too hot, you probably want to get remote starter... it is very useful.

A

·
0 Posts
jjong9785 said:
It came on the model I bought but wasn't something I really felt I needed (and said so when bargaining with the dealer) at the time. However, with the cold weather we've been having, I've found myself using it to warm up the car in the morning. It's more useful than I anticipated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RAV4 Remote Start range

I read that the range for the remote start is only about 75 feet. Has anyone had a problem with that? A friend has a OEM unit and she can start her car from inside our office and her car is probably 750 feet away :x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts