Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my 2006 Limited RAV4. I want to get the OEM remote engine starter, but was wondering if someone who has it could answer a question of mine (the dealer said I could add it on by tommorow since it is a port option). Is the Toyota remote starter integrated into the factory key (with the lock/unlock and actual key all in one unit) or is there an additional fob? The dealer said there is an additional fob, but the RAV4 accessory pamphlet says it is integrated into the origional key. So confusing. . .which is correct the dealer or the pamphlet?

I know remote starters have been covered on other threads, but I was unable to find an answer to this question. This is my first post, thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
toyota_way said:
Is the Toyota remote starter integrated into the factory key (with the lock/unlock and actual key all in one unit) or is there an additional fob?
YES... it's integrated into the factory key 8) At least the ones that are installed at the Port of Portland, Oregon are :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The OEM starter is called the Toyota VIP remote starter system, it is installed at the port as a $500 option. It uses the factory keys. Your car must comes with it as an option or else you will pay a mark up if the dealer installs it. My guess is that it will be $700 to $750 if installed by dealer. If your dealer is telling you it uses another fob, then hes talking about a aftermarket system, make sure you tell him you want the VIP system from toyota's website.
I would be real careful about this, make sure it says Toyota VIP remote starter on the contract before you sign it. Alot of dealers tells you that they will install an OEM system for you for a certain price just to sell you the car, then turn around and install a aftermarket product because it would increase their profit margin. They will either tell you that it works the same as the OEM one or they cant get a hold of the VIP system or something like that. Do a little research yourself, dont take their word for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts