Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this matter has been raised before already by someone else, ...but for those who have had (or plan to have) OEM running board installed on their 4.4...... (i think the running board latest part number is PT92542160)....

...make sure your dealer/installer does not forget to add the "jack block" to your scissor jack. (it is part of the running board package)

It will be an aluminum-colored block that needs to be on top of the scissor jack, since without the "jack block", the running board is now obstructing one arm of the scissor jack, making it difficult for the scissor jack top 'platform' to meet up with the jack point surface near the pinch weld.

(easier to discuss this with pictures, i'll try to attach a few next time)

two ways to check if installer has done it: (i.e., added the jack block)

1. lift the cargo tray cover and actually look for the scissor jack... the scissor jack is on the left(driver) side. the scissor jack is black in color so the aluminum jack block will be very easy to see/confirm. Note that you may have to actually lift the scissor jack out as it may be stored upside down now. Without the jack block the default storage is sideways,..so if this is the case, you don't have to lift the scissor jack out.

2. open up your owner's manual ...inside back cover... there should be a sticker affixed that says something to the effect of "running board has been installed on this vehicle..make sure to use scissor jack with added jack block"

if your installer forgot to add said "jack block", contact them asap to have the piece bought/sent to you...(part number is PT92542130AG)....because if you jack the car up without knowing you had to have that added piece/block...i think it may be possible for the vehicle to shift/slide/fall and have someone hurt.

If the "jack block" has not been added to the scissor jack and if the dealer/installer is far from you (as was the case for me)...buy the PT92542130AG from nearest dealer and have original installer reimburse you with a check by the mail. "Jack block" price including taxes was $26.11 for my case.
Once you have the jack block, it's easy to attach to the scissor jack.

Regards,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...the first picture is how it looks without the "jack block"... your scissor jack will not meet up with car body because the running board hits the scissor jack.
(running board is the white thing on the left side of the picture)
(the void space to be filled up by the 'jack block' is where my index finger is)

..second picture is the actual "jack block" part (PT92542130AG) . I'll send a picture of it affixed on top of the scissor jack soon.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi JuneBug,

I think the jackblock is part of the running board "kit package" (and need not be ordered separately).
See install instructions for the running board, ..page 1, (and first pic i attached for quick ref).
(sorry it seems i don't have authority yet to post links, so use this on a google search, and go to first link Google gives you for..."pt92542160 install instructions",... the link that goes to a pdf)

Also as per this DIY'er video for a 2013 4.4 running board..it looks like he had the part included in the package. See time "0:12".
(Again i can't post link, so google up "rav4 running boards video" and go to the youtube video that says "2013 Toyota Rav4 Factory oem Running Board Installation video 2014 2015 PT925-42131"

If the running board/step bar installed is non-OEM and you have the problem of the board clashing with the scissor jack, then yes, I guess you'd have to order the jackblock part separately.

See page 12 of the board install instruction on how to affix the jackblock to the scissor jack. (Picture 2 attached for quick ref)

Picture 3 attached shows the jackblock affixed to the scissor jack.

Price i quoted of $26-ish is from a dealer. Yup you can get online cheaper at $15-ish. I just couldn't wait to fix the problem though when i became aware of it so I went straight to the nearest dealer to order one for me. (I wasn't even sure i'd get the correct part at that time because if you google it, there's no picture coming up..only the description "RNG BRD HW KIT" as you have mentioned JuneBug). Then i asked my dealer/installer who installed the running board for me a year ago, to reimburse the $26.11,..they said they will. Have also told them to inform their installer/tech of the issue, so the problem is not repeated for future runningboard installs on other 4.4's, as this could be a safety issue.

Note there are other items to be added (decal on the scissor jack, stickers on the owner's manual)..."Item 8" and "Item 11" on the item list. (see page 13 of install instructions) These weren't done for me as well,..the decals/sticker all say something like "this car has oem running board, use only a scissor jack with jackblok",....but i plan to just write those warnings on my owner's manual, for the next owner of the car if in case i sell it (i'd love to after finding out my LE has smaller brake rotors than all the other trims, but that's another story :smile). Note that the stickers are not included in PT92542130AG jackblock product, just the jack block).

Hopefully this helps others who have had running board installed, or plan to. It was here that i became aware of the existence of the running board install instruction and made me realize i'm missing a part,..the jackblock, ...so i'm sharing my experience because as mentioned, this could be a safety issue (if you jack the car up without the jackblock and the car unfortunately slides/falls down...of course that's IF you had the running board).

I may send a picture of the assembled scissor-jack-with-jackblock finally meeting up correctly with the car body with no clashing of the running board against the scissor jack. Later....:smile
(I also have pictures of my "scissor jack with no decal", and "owner's manual[back cover] with no sticker", please advise if you like those too...but perhaps it's best you take pics of your own,..as proof of installer not doing what had to be done, so they could reimburse you...if they didn't add the jackblock to the scissor jack when you had the running board installed by them)

Regards,

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
That jack block looks like a nice thing to have even if you don't have running boards. Especially for those who have lifted their RAV4--looks like it adds an additional inch or so to the jack travel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as promised, here's the pic.

this is how Toyota wants your scissor jack to interface with the rav4 body once you have a running board installed. (see "that's more like it.jpg")

i put a (green) lego piece in there to show where there was once a clash of the scissorjack arm vs. the running board,...now there's a good clearance. (at first i was using my finger to point at the space..but it was being washed out by the flash)

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New storage arrangement for the scissor jack once you have the jackblock:

Pic 1. I think this is the new "correct way" (when you have the jackblock), i.e. upside down,...as per the running board install procedure (page 12). The scissor jack can no longer be stored sideways perfectly flat because the jackblock has now made it "wider".

Pic 2. I still store it sideways though, a bit tilted, and let the rubber-band-with-hook hold it so it doesn't shake/rattle.

Pic 3. This is the reason i still store the jack sideways, because i need that space on top of the scissorjack for an air inflator (with some foam/pool noodles to keep it snug).

Again, hopefully this thread would be of help to someone here.... stay safe guys..

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Downgrade,

That ebay item isn't OEM is it?
Just my opinion..try to go get the OEM , PT92542160. Especially if you have kids, you know.
You can get it online for $350 approx. That's not so different from your $280. (remember that the jack block will also be, should be, included in the PT92542160 running board,..so that's "$25-ish" further less difference.)

The trick is to find a dealer close to you that has an online store too,..that way you can select "pick-up at store" , so essentially it is free shipping.

Also before buying the OEM board, haggle with that store on how much the install labor will be. Some will quote $400, some $250. I think $250 is a fair enough deal (and that's how much i paid for my install).

Note that some dealers will not install the running board if the running board kit package didn't come from them. Liability issues or something.

So find a dealer (near you) with a good (online) price for the board, and a good price for the install. Again, just make sure they affix the jackblock too haha...or at least they give the jackblock part to you.
Also note that dealers will usually not sell to you at their actual store on the online price. (So you have to buy online, because the running board part is "normally" $500.)
I think the online store is actually one big company and subcontracting the online selling to whoever(dealer) wants to avail of their online
commerce service, but that's just my guess.

If you think you can DIY the install,..as mentioned there's a youtube video out there of how one did it. Can't remember really very well now, but i think he skipped some procedures or something, so again i would recommend to have a dealer do it for you.

Lastly i like the OEM board better because it doesn't have that "corner" / "flange" on the end...
For rear passengers, i'm guessing their feet could get caught in that end-flange. Tell them however to not step on the end part too (for the OEM) because it is just a plastic piece, ..put their weight on the aluminum step only.
Also, you never know if the non-OEM running board has made sure in their design that the jack points (you know, where those "notches" are on the pinch weld) are not covered in any manner, ..but i hope they have accounted for it.

All the best,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
..and here's the video for the the guy who did the DIY:

from time "0:22" to "0:39" he made mention of the jackblock part ("this is for the jack...") and the stickers. So ask your installer for those parts if they din't put it on your scissor jack(jackblock) or the owner's manual (stickers).

Note the running board on the video is an older version of the running board (42131 instead of 42160)....it had the "end flanges" at the end, which are no longer there on the 42160 version....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Downgrade,

..another "point" for the OEM board, the top surface is all-rubber (less slippery), vs. the ebay product which has some aluminum surfaces.....

..if you're adding the running board because of kids in the family, i think the OEM gives more peace of mind.
..just opinions though.....

Regards,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..the DIY install video previously mentioned shows the board as all black..
..note that the latest version (42160) is silver(aluminum) on the sides, see attached picture.

based on sellers(seller? if its actually the same vendor) from amazon/ebay, the specific bar seems to be for non-hybrid only?
confirm with the dealer if yours is a hybrid.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..to those who plan on adding a running board (especially the OEM)...

If you don't really need the running board, I guess it's better not to install one..
a tech (probably a newbie) at the Discount Tire lifted my rav4 today by the running board.

I hope it didn't hurt the car somehow.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you'd like to read through this installation instruction that i've attached here...

and then see/compare with the video if it matches/are the same...

this same set of instruction was the one used for my 2018 (my 2nd 4.4)..

they put the "endcap" wrong though (front/back) :D
and i haven't had the time yet to switch them to the correct positions.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts