Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Rav4 AWD V6 and want to paint the 17 " steel wheels. Any recommendations on a paint for the job ?

·
Registered
189 Posts
permanent or temporary?

for permanent, get any paint for steel material from home depot (spray paint, matt or gloss finish), if you want to have it painted with clear, get a clear coat too.

for temporary application, Plasti Dip is the famous one right now.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a 2012 Rav4 AWD V6 and want to paint the 17 " steel wheels. Any recommendations on a paint for the job ?
If you have 17" wheels I don't think they're steel. They should be alloy.

I think steel wheels only came in 16" size.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you have 17" wheels I don't think they're steel. They should be alloy.
I think steel wheels only came in 16" size..
They come in 16 and 17. Here's an example of a 17-inch steelie from a friend's 2011 base model with a bit of rust forming:

Photos taken a year and half ago, a lot worse these days. She'd be interested in a paint product recommendation also...

·
Registered
268 Posts
My RAV with 17" alloys has a 17" steel spare.
But back to the paint -- I've had success with rust conversion primers, the stuff that turns the rust black and then you put the finish paint over it.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I use Rustoleum hammered paint from the can on mine. Available at Home Depot ( US only - not in Canada). It works better than the spray version. I apply it with a brush but stroke it on by pressing (dabbing) a brush on it for that hammered look. I have tried Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating (silver) with clear coat but it does not resist road salt in the winter. The Rusoleum hammered paint from the can works well and the finish is harder than the other paint. There is some chipping around the where the wheel nut meets. The steel wheels are my winter set but I also have wheel skins on top of that also so to prolong the salt from eventually wearing the paint. So far the Rustoleum paint with the wheel skin has held up well after one winter. So it has reduced the yearly rim painting and sanding I hate to do (rust cancer).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...the steel wheels are my winter set but I also have wheel skins on top of that also so to prolong the salt from eventually wearing the paint. So far the Rustoleum paint with the wheel skin has held up well after one winter....So it has reduced the yearly rim painting and sanding I hate to do (rust cancer).
Thanks...do you have the 17-inch type steelie I pictured? Someone told me you can't put wheel skins on this type due to the design of the lip. Any link to a wheel skin product would be double thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They come in 16 and 17. Here's an example of a 17-inch steelie from a friend's 2011 base model with a bit of rust forming:

Photos taken a year and half ago, a lot worse these days. She'd be interested in a paint product recommendation also...
these are the ones i have on my 2009 rav45 base model. they are steel! yeah man, if you want to make it so nice and clean. you can remove the tires, have it sandblasted before painting them. :) or powder coat them. but for me, i'll go to sandblast them and paint them with regular spray paint.

i remember, here in canada, at canadian tire, there's brand Dupli-Color, they work too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts