Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And just so that I understand you got the thule since the box can lock to the bars and the bars to the rails? right? The rav4 bars don't really lock so no one can steal them but you could lock the box to those bars.
I got the Thule because:

A. The OEM crossbars (specifically the rear OEM crossbar) is not wide enough for my box. Another member posted on here somewhere that the OEM bar only offers a width of twenty-something inches. My box is 30" wide.

B. The OEM bars don't strap on to the side rails or anything like that and the Thule ones strap all the way around the side rails. The OEM ones stay in place by a pressure screw type design (so I've read). Design-wise, I believe the Thule design offers more stability and can likely carry more weight.

C. The OEM bars don't lock...well, they do, but according to some folks on here, you can use anything to unlock them so that's not too useful. I'm not as worried about someone stealing my stuff but it's nice to have a lock feature that works.

D. The OEM bars are really thin. My cargo box is sorta old and the attachment is a square "U" shaped bracket. The Thule bars are thicker and more accomodating to the U bracket. I don't know if the OEM ones would have been OK, but if they're anything like my dads OEM bars on his car, they're too thin. The box attachment was designed to attach to something thicker.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@Leonard1818 - great pics and info!

What Thule carrier are you using so I can estimate size. Thule's site has a massive list.
And when installed, does it contact with your sunroof when opened up?

Thanks!

Whoops just saw the model on previous page.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Leonard1818 - great pics and info!

What Thule carrier are you using so I can estimate size. Thule's site has a massive list.
And when installed, does it contact with your sunroof when opened up?

Thanks!

Whoops just saw the model on previous page.
Yep, it's a Thule Evolution 1600. My dad has our old 1200. If you measure or google your box size, I'd be glad to take any measurements you need to see if yours will fit. Let me know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
you people are smoking the funny stuff. i bought thetoyota oem cross bars. they are made really nice. i am in construction and see shabby materials all the time , these bars are made well and they are nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
...I just ordered the "rockymountain" core locks @ $30 for a set of 4 versus Thule core locks for $60. The reviews on Amazon say they fit just like the Thule ones. We'll see.
Just wondering how did the RockyMounts core locks work for you? Were they hard to install?

I too was looking at Amazon reviews and it seems mixed on if they will fit or not. Amazon also says in the description that it does not fit Thule.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a pair of Thule Aeroblade Edge 7502's on my rav. They look clean as hell!

I'm going to be running a Thule Universal Flat top 4 for my ski/snowboards this season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In addition to my question on how well RockyMounts core locks work on 7502s, can anyone share if these crossrails impede the sunroof operation?

Per Thule's fit guide, "45. Your sunroof may not open when rack is installed".

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In addition to my question on how well RockyMounts core locks work on 7502s, can anyone share if these crossrails impede the sunroof operation?

Per Thule's fit guide, "45. Your sunroof may not open when rack is installed".
Sorry I never replied. Rocky mount locks are still great and the crossbars don't impede sunroof functionality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with the Thule Crossroads instead of the factory units. Found a set on craigslist cheap with locks. My thought was I can put these on either of my vehicles and there are plenty of options for longer bars or repair parts if its ever needed. The weigh limit was another factor since my cargo box weighs over 40 pounds empty.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,997 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I went with the Thule Crossroads instead of the factory units. Found a set on craigslist cheap with locks. My thought was I can put these on either of my vehicles and there are plenty of options for longer bars or repair parts if its ever needed. The weigh limit was another factor since my cargo box weighs over 40 pounds empty.

I think the crossroads are the first ones that I tried out. (post #13 on p. 2).

My only complaints about them would surely have been silenced if I had found them used for a good deal. ;)

All I will say in regards to the weight limit or load capacity is that the rav seems to be rated at like 102 lbs. They're very vague about what this actually means in the manual. but like you, my box alone weights 32 lbs. I'm sure I've put a bit over 100 lbs. up there (Probably no more than 140-150) and it was fine. My box is wide (the whole width of the roof) so it's distributed pretty well. Just don't take turns too sharp or brake too hard and I'm sure you'll be fine. I think the load capacity rating is more so it does not throw off the center of gravity too much -- not necessarily because the side rails or roof will break/collapse if you put 165lbs up there.

Take some pics of your setup and post up here!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Ok Guys, finally got the bars and box up on the Toyota. First trip with it today, Ill keep you posted on what I think.

Hey looks great! I dunno why but I love the more -- I don't even know how to describe it... Utilitarian? Rugged? Something... Look of a rig with the bars and box on top. Keep an eye on your gas mileage and let us know how much of a hit you take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everything did as it was designed to do. A couple of my buddies accused me of becoming a yuppie... I'll remember that when they ask to borrow it.

I averaged 26 mpg with the cruise set between 75 and 80 for the majority of the 3 hour trip. I don't have any other trips to compare that to at this time since we just purchased the car. Seems fair to me, we used to take my 4runner that gets 18/19 mpg on the same trip.

So I'm happy with the set up. The bars are easy to attach and seem very sturdy. The box holds more than enough stuff and isn't terrible with wind noise. I'd highly recommend either.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Everything did as it was designed to do. A couple of my buddies accused me of becoming a yuppie... I'll remember that when they ask to borrow it.

I averaged 26 mpg with the cruise set between 75 and 80 for the majority of the 3 hour trip. I don't have any other trips to compare that to at this time since we just purchased the car. Seems fair to me, we used to take my 4runner that gets 18/19 mpg on the same trip.

So I'm happy with the set up. The bars are easy to attach and seem very sturdy. The box holds more than enough stuff and isn't terrible with wind noise. I'd highly recommend either.

Ha! Thanks for posting back. That's about my experience with the box on top except I think I got a bit worse MPG one way but it balanced out the other way... Plus my box extends a *tad* bit further forward than yours, creating a spot for air to get trapped and create more drag. Either way, we're not yuppies (I'm close, but no city living or opulence here)-- just smart people who can make things work the way we need them to when we need them to!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the model number of those Thule Aeroblade Edgebar roof racks that you bought? I have been trying to find them and can't seem to. Also what size will fit a 2013 rav4 xle? I noticed that they have several sizes. Let me know. Any Help given would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What's the model number of those Thule Aeroblade Edgebar roof racks that you bought? I have been trying to find them and can't seem to. Also what size will fit a 2013 rav4 xle? I noticed that they have several sizes. Let me know. Any Help given would be greatly appreciated.

I PM'd you back but it's the 7502 that you want for the Rav. 900-1000mm, size "Medium".

If you go to the Thule website and enter your make/model, walking through the configurator, it'll tell you this info (and also what else may work for your vehicle).

·
Registered
529 Posts
I got the oem bars were thrown in for free. I like them in the sense on my old car had the yak round bars and made terrible noise. I only use bars to attach thule 526 bike rack. The noise is not noticed but the 526 not really happy with. Got from rei and thinking of taking back. Its hard to get it open to take bike out. Believe it or not. I was told by rei it is a common problem with that holder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Manhog, did you ever take back the 526 bike rack and try something else? I'm wondering what bike attachments will work with the OEM crossbars.

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.