Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace radio stereo (fm/am/cd player) for 2010 Rav4 base with below unit. $499 with installation :smile. I see below advertisement on kijiji most of the time. Can someone provide their experience and guide me if below unit is rightly priced and unit is good quality. Thanks in advance :D

OEM TOYOTA RAV4 DVD GPS BLUETOOTH INCLUDING INSTALL $499 | electronics | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Would love to have backup camera too .. but looks like that will add another $200 ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking to replace radio stereo (fm/am/cd player) for 2010 Rav4 base with below unit. $499 with installation :smile. I see below advertisement on kijiji most of the time. Can someone provide their experience and guide me if below unit is rightly priced and unit is good quality. Thanks in advance :D

OEM TOYOTA RAV4 DVD GPS BLUETOOTH INCLUDING INSTALL $499 | electronics | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Would love to have backup camera too .. but looks like that will add another $200 ....

That unit looks like the Chinese units. !Its wince 6.0 . How handy are you? You can buy 1 for under 260 and install it yourself only takes about 30 min to do with the right tools Amazon.com: Auto Car Pry Tool Kit Door Trim Panel Dashboard Stereo Radio Light Removal: Automotive . Heres a video on how its done .Not the same unit but will give you idea how to do it.
. You can add backup camera depending on your skill level.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That unit looks like the Chinese units. !Its wince 6.0 . How handy are you? You can buy 1 for under 260 and install it yourself only takes about 30 min to do with the right tools Amazon.com: Auto Car Pry Tool Kit Door Trim Panel Dashboard Stereo Radio Light Removal: Automotive . Heres a video on how its done .Not the same unit but will give you idea how to do it. Install Joying head unit on Rav4 - YouTube . You can add backup camera depending on your skill level.
Thanks for video ... I am very handy in DIY :smile... Can you point me towards a good quality unit ... I will take it from there ...
How about this unit on ebay?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/In-Dash-Car-DVD-Player-with-GPS-Navigation-Bluetooth-for-Toyota-RAV4-2006-2012-/252388795076?hash=item3ac38b62c4:g:25kAAOSwgQ9V3dFn&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for video ... I am very handy in DIY :smile... Can you point me towards a good quality unit ... I will take it from there ...
How about this unit on ebay?
IN Dash CAR DVD Player With GPS Navigation Bluetooth FOR Toyota RAV4 2006 2012 | eBay
I got my wince 6.0 unit about 18 months ago and it works ok, The GPS IGO maps and software were outdated but I found newer maps. Mine unit has the ARM11 chip. I used this backup camera For Toyota RAV4 2000 2012 Car CCD Night Vision Backup Reverse Rear View Camera | eBay .

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Junebug .... [email protected] you have link for wince 6.0 you bought?
I also see people buying andriod units from henhao and JOYING ... are they more reliable units?
Sorry I don't have a link and mine doesn't have a model number on it. If you are going with the wince 6.0 just make sure it has arm11 processor. Wince 6.0 is old and not supported by Microsoft anymore. If I were to buy one today I wound get a ANDROID UNIT instead with android 5.1 or 4.4 and 1024x600 resolution instead of 800x480 (although 800x480 isn't bad). ALL the Nav unit screens even the ones in the 2015 rav4 are hard to see in the bright sunlight.AS far as brands go I cant help you there, You will have to search here or google to see which brands people are using for the 2006-2011 Rav4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys... too confused which good unit to buy ... which is reliable website to order .... please share your experiences ...thanks

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Unfortunately these Chinese units (at least the ones with WinCE) are not perfect. I have not tried the Android versions so I cannot comment on them.
If you have to buy from a USA seller; at least returns would be less painful if needed.
One unit (PUMPKIN) is being sold by Amazon.com which is also fulfilled by Amazon.com. At least if you're not satisfied, returning it should be easy.

Pretty your GPS will not work when a call comes in. My FM sucks. SD Card music clicks after each song. Poor picture in glare. Sometimes I lose my front speakers when GPS is on and I have to restart the unit.But for what I use it for; it's ok.

A few years ago, I could not afford a Kenwood/JVC and all the other harness/Steering wheel control and trims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately these Chinese units (at least the ones with WinCE) are not perfect. I have not tried the Android versions so I cannot comment on them.
If you have to buy from a USA seller; at least returns would be less painful if needed.
One unit (PUMPKIN) is being sold by Amazon.com which is also fulfilled by Amazon.com. At least if you're not satisfied, returning it should be easy.

Pretty your GPS will not work when a call comes in. My FM sucks. SD Card music clicks after each song. Poor picture in glare. Sometimes I lose my front speakers when GPS is on and I have to restart the unit.But for what I use it for; it's ok.

A few years ago, I could not afford a Kenwood/JVC and all the other harness/Steering wheel control and trims.
Thanks Vanib .... finally someone from my city :smile

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys... too confused which good unit to buy ... which is reliable website to order .... please share your experiences ...thanks
If you like the Joying Android This one from Zenithmake looks like it has the same specs as the joying with a lower price from Aliexpress (like a Chinese ebay). I would email them to make sure it has the plug and play wiring harness for you rav4 and if it comes with English installation instructions and manual. Most Chinese units don't come with good instructions or manual . Mine wasn't good. Ive never purchased from this seller but they do have buyer protection. You should check the sellers feedback like you would on Ebay before you buy.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Quad core 1024*600 HD Screen 2 din Android 4.4 Toyota Rav 4 RAV4 Car DVD Player Audio Video stereo GPS Navigation Radio 3G wifi from Reliable radio mp3 suppliers on ZenithMake-Best Car Multimedia Navigation

And this is the Joying unit to compare specs with

Amazon.com: JOYING Android 4.4.4 Quad Core 7 Inch 1024*600 Resolution Hd Capacitive Multi-touch Screen Car DVD Player for Toyota Rav4 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011,Fm/am Radio Stereo GPS Navigation with Bluetooth,support Dvr/usb/sd/steering Wheel/bac

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
The Aliexpress one seems like a good unit. And DHL shipping is free. Let's hope that that DHL does not collect Duty. That really screwed me up.
You could ask the seller to declare a lower amount e.g. $99.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Aliexpress one seems like a good unit. And DHL shipping is free. Let's hope that that DHL does not collect Duty. That really screwed me up.
You could seller to declare a lower amount e.g. $99.
Aliexpress link is not working for me :frown ...not sure how it worked for you ...amazon link is working ...
I searched on google ...is this below one?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Quad-core-1024-600-HD-Screen-2-din-Android-4-4-Toyota-Rav-4-RAV4-Car/1179505_32409584666.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks... sending email to them with below text ...

Hi, I looking to buy and test a reasonable priced android unit for Rav4 models. I have few queries:
1) Does GPS works when phone call is attended via unit bluetooth?
2) Is this unit plug and play OR need manual wiring. Can you send me photo of back side of unit (want to see if plugs are compatible or it would need extra wiring).
3) Can Factory in-built backup camera works on this Unit.
4) Is backup camera automatically turned on when Rav4 is in reverse gear or it this manual button?
5) Does this unit has feature to switch camera image between mirror and normal. Do you have CCD backup camera specially designed for Rav4 with backup light.
6) Does this unit has AUX on front. I see AUX on front but no hole.
7) Does the color of buttons is more black then unit frame?
8) How many units I need to buy, to get better discounts. Like give me price for 5units or 10 units.
9) Can first sample unit be tagged as GIFT or atleast price it low for lower duties.

Hope I will have good business with you. Waiting for reply. Thanks.

Regards
Manoj
Ottawa(Canada)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
got response from seller as below:
Hello manoj,
i am wondering you are talking about old rav or new rav4?
1) Does GPS works when phone call is attended via unit bluetooth? -- of course, GPS still working at background
2) Is this unit plug and play OR need manual wiring. --- plug and play wires, oem-fit to car socket, dont worry.
3) Can Factory in-built backup camera works on this Unit. -- yes. but you need to order canbus for new rav4.
4) Is backup camera automatically turned on when Rav4 is in reverse gear or it this manual button? --- of course, this is all rearview camera must be working like this.
5) Does this unit has feature to switch camera image between mirror and normal. Do you have CCD backup camera specially designed for Rav4 with backup light. -- yes, our dvd can change mirror or normal. we provide only universal camera as gift.
6) Does this unit has AUX on front. I see AUX on front but no hole. -- no AUX on front panel.
7) Does the color of buttons is more black then unit frame? -- same color.
8) How many units I need to buy, to get better discounts. Like give me price for 5units or 10 units. --- if you are distributor, we suggest you take 6pcs, 2pcs/ctn, total 3 ctns.

tell me are you talkin on new rav4?

·
Registered
23 Posts
5) Does this unit has feature to switch camera image between mirror and normal. Do you have CCD backup camera specially designed for Rav4 with backup light. -- yes, our dvd can change mirror or normal. we provide only universal camera as gift.
If you decide to buy it I would recommend you use a CCD backup camera that's made for your Rav4.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did anyone buy the Zenithmake unit?? wondering if it's compatible with the JBL system or if it will require the Steering wheel and JBL Wiring adaptors.

Looks like the unit in our RAV4 was professionally done some time in 2009/10 but the older Eclipse Navi unit is not living up to my wife's expectations since there's no USB support on it... time to change it to a USB ready unit to keep everyone happy, lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts