Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to remove the turnsignal/headlight switch on the column for the 2013-2014 models? I've been looking everywhere and can't find a single thing on it. It looks like the steering wheel has to be pulled to get the switch off, unless i'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just a guess, have you tried removing steering column cover. On Toyota's I have done in past. There are 2 screws on front face that you will see by rotating steering wheel each direction. Once removed the 2 half's of the cover can be unsnapped apart.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I did that. I took a turnsignal switch out of a subaru, but it wasn't designed like this. I though maybe it had clips in the center so it comes off the steering column, but I don't think so. there's a thumbnail of what it looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There is a thread on Tacoma World where a 3rd Gen SR owner took apart his steering column to replace the OEM wiper stalk with an OEM stalk with the wiper delay - I believe he added cruise control also.

He did not remove the steering column! He said it wasn't too difficult to do.

That thread had pix of what he did and how he did it. I don't remember if he replaced the turn signal stalk as well - he wanted OEM fog lights and his model didn't come with them. Do a search for SR MODS on that site to get a better idea of what you may be in for. BTW, the parts look very similar to those on the RAV4 - they're both Toyota vehicles.

PS: here's a link: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2016-3rd-gen-intermittent-wiper-mod.397942/

Reactions: jasonlee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, It turns out the turn signal/headlight switch I bought isn't plug and play with my rav4 as I don't have the wire harness for the fog lights at the steering column:frown (bummer). What I did was hook up the aftermarket push button switch. The fog lights are working now. The only thing is that I want them to work like factory so they turn off when the high beams are on. I am not clear on which wires to connect to the 5 pin relay that I was told to use from a buddy of mine. the relay is a BDW R681 relay that I have to get, or equivalent relay. I think it's a 30 amp relay. I just need a clear diagram or something to know which wires to hook the relay in to. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
So you want to run 12v output of fog light switch to terminal 86, terminal 87 goes to fog light 12v+, terminal 30 goes to +12v bat and terminal 85 will tap into hi beam 12v+. The way it works is with power and ground applied to coil it will allow voltage to flow through relay switch to fogs, when the hi beams are turned on the ground to the coil is interuptted and the relay switch is opened and stop sending voltage to the fogs. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you want to run 12v output of fog light switch to terminal 86, terminal 87 goes to fog light 12v+, terminal 30 goes to +12v bat and terminal 85 will tap into hi beam 12v+. The way it works is with power and ground applied to coil it will allow voltage to flow through relay switch to fogs, when the hi beams are turned on the ground to the coil is interuptted and the relay switch is opened and stop sending voltage to the fogs. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait. After looking over this, you are only using 4 posts. Does that mean I don't need a 5 pin relay? I just bought the 5 pin relay but i have an extra 4 pin relay with the fog light kit I bought, so if I don't need the 5 pin relay I'll return it. on second thought, I'll keep the bdw relay and use it as a 4 pin, what would the 5th pin be used for though? 87a pin. I'm curious because I was told I needed 5 pins to make the fog lights turn off when the high beams are activated. Also, Is it imperative I add a fuse between the battery and relay? If so, what amp fuse should I use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wait. After looking over this, you are only using 4 posts. Does that mean I don't need a 5 pin relay? I just bought the 5 pin relay but i have an extra 4 pin relay with the fog light kit I bought, so if I don't need the 5 pin relay I'll return it.

Yes you should be able to either one. The terminals are the 4 pin should be the same except for terminal 87a which is the fifth one.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you should be able to either one. The terminals are the 4 pin should be the same except for terminal 87a which is the fifth one.

ok. You sent this before I was done editing my post. LOL I had another question about the fuse. Is it imperative to add a fuse in between the battery and relay? If so, what amp should be safe to use? 30? less? more?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wait. After looking over this, you are only using 4 posts. Does that mean I don't need a 5 pin relay? I just bought the 5 pin relay but i have an extra 4 pin relay with the fog light kit I bought, so if I don't need the 5 pin relay I'll return it. on second thought, I'll keep the bdw relay and use it as a 4 pin, what would the 5th pin be used for though? 87a pin. I'm curious because I was told I needed 5 pins to make the fog lights turn off when the high beams are activated. Also, Is it imperative I add a fuse between the battery and relay? If so, what amp fuse should I use?

I would add fuse, since it's only fog lights on circuit I would think 10-15 amps, not a bad idea to add fuse to power line going into switch. You can never go wrong with fuses as long as you remember where you put them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would add fuse, since it's only fog lights on circuit I would think 10-15 amps, not a bad idea to add fuse to power line going into switch. You can never go wrong with fuses as long as you remember where you put them

Yes. This is true. Lol. Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been looking everywhere for which color the high beam wire is and where I can access it under the steering column or under the dash. Who knows which color it is. I even went to my local parts stores in town and nobody has the haynes manual for the 2013 and newer rav4 models. What's up with that?? LOL. I thought they made them for the cars when the cars came out. I can't even find one online. I wanted to hook up this relay today and get this project done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been looking everywhere for which color the high beam wire is and where I can access it under the steering column or under the dash. Who knows which color it is. I even went to my local parts stores in town and nobody has the haynes manual for the 2013 and newer rav4 models. What's up with that?? LOL. I thought they made them for the cars when the cars came out. I can't even find one online. I wanted to hook up this relay today and get this project done.
I would do it in the engine bay since all your connections are easily accessible. I like to use these weatherproof relays.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would do it in the engine bay since all your connections are easily accessible. I like to use these weatherproof relays.

Thanks for that. I actually just found a thread on a 2015 le model doing a fog light install. I'm trying to wire it so i can use the factory harness and so I don't need the relay. It's the same wiring as mine, I just have to figure out where I can get the grey pin connector for the body ecu under the dash. If I can't locate one easily, I'm going to wire the relay in so the fog lights work like factory when turning the high beams on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does Toyota sell fog light kit? If so just download the install instructions and should have all the connection points. I did when I install led drl in my Camry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does Toyota sell fog light kit? If so just download the install instructions and should have all the connection points. I did when I install led drl in my Camry.

Yes they do. I'm looking at the PDF now. I don't have the pin connector for the harness wirh the kit I bought. I didn't buy the factory Toyota kit, so I'm trying to figure out where to buy the pin connector to go into the harness so mine will work. The le models don't have the grey wire for the "fog light on" in the body ecu harness.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes they do. I'm looking at the PDF now. I don't have the pin connector for the harness wirh the kit I bought. I didn't buy the factory Toyota kit, so I'm trying to figure out where to buy the pin connector to go into the harness so mine will work. The le models don't have the grey wire for the "fog light on" in the body ecu harness.

Gotcha, maybe dealer sells pigtail or try junkyard or ebay. Let us know how you make out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts