Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I do a lot of off roading in my 99! I live in Ely Nevada and find myself on a wide variety of trails & not exactly trails!
I recently replaced the engine, added a performance clutch, & several front end suspension parts. I've order and am waiting for an "old man Emu" 1.25 inch lift suspension kit.
I am currently researching options for a winch bumper, preferably aluminum (for the weight), but steel would do fine! Ive heard you can easily convert an aftermarket samurai bumper for the rav but am not sure what to look for! Just wondering if anyone had experience on the matter or could help point me in the right direction?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info... I follow him in Instagram! He has done quite a bit more to the rav! It looks good!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It looks like he may have anchored the winch bar to the tow loops.
Do you know if that's the case?

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
I once came across some pictures on the Russian forum 4rav.ru of a guy who modified his crash bar (the bar just behind the bumper cover) to accommodate a winch.

Here is a video of his Rav in action (more relevant videos can be found on his channel):
(not in use, but with the bumper cover on)

I will update the post with pictures if I manage to stumble upon them again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome! Was he being pulled out of the mud on the first one? Video quality wasn't to good on my little phone screen! Or do did it sound like he had a 4low?

Still can't find anything for putting my own winch bumper on... I think I need to do some measuring and figure how it will be mounted!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Still can't find anything for putting my own winch bumper on... I think I need to do some measuring and figure how it will be mounted!
The RAV4 has no frame. You cannot, for example, mount a Bull Bar and then a winch to it because it will likely pull the Bull Bar right off the vehicle.

If you want a front mounted winch it must be attached to the tow hooks. That is a truly interesting build project.

You could get away with a winch not attached to anything, and hook it up to the battery and then to a tow hook. Of course, that requires two operators unless you are very clever.

Would pictures help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info! Thank you! I figured it wouldn't be a cut along the dotted lines project... But that's the fun of it all!

Any pics you could send would be helpful! Just collecting info and planning right now!

On that note how is the stock plastic bumper mounted on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great pics of your rav! That is exactly the color I was wanting to paint mine, except do black on the bottom panels and bumper! Looks great!!!

But to the point... I think what I am looking mor for is a steal or aluminum tube winch bumper. Mostly am looking for a lift point to put a handyman Jack! (Also like the look of the metal bumper!) let me know if you have any thoughts from there, but thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks!
Honestly, I don't like steel bampers. I can agree aluminium/steel tube. Because main point in rav is light weight. If you have a winch you don't need HiJack. Anyhow, in front you can fix HiJack under hawse-hole.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your Rav4 looks sweet. I like your snorkel. It look different from Safari which @coupi has on his Rav. Would you share your modifications with up close pics and some explanations..........

·
Registered
14 Posts
@RAMAN ov, Welcome to the forum. Your Rav4 looks sweet. I like your snorkel. It look different from Safari which @coupi has on his Rav. Would you share your modifications with up close pics and some explanations.......
Hello and thanx! My snorkel is same, but chinese copy of safary. I have cut few on top of snorkel and reworked body of air filter. I will make some pict for you tomorrow. Do you need info only regarding snorkel?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the great pics of your rav! That is exactly the color I was wanting to paint mine, except do black on the bottom panels and bumper! Looks great!!!

But to the point... I think what I am looking more for is a steal or aluminum tube winch bumper. Mostly am looking for a lift point to put a handyman Jack! (Also like the look of the metal bumper!) let me know if you have any thoughts from there, but thank you for sharing!
You know you can custom fabricate your own bumper. By this I mean literally design it and get a shop to build it to your specifications. The tow hooks must be designed to take a lot of stress before they fail............

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No... This is all great info! I am just getting started on my mods! And this forum is so useful... I think another thing I'm trying to accomplish with the metal bumper is the front end clearance!

I've done a good amount of off roading in the Intermountain west and besides the power, on very steep inclines, the only problem I run into is the front end clearance! (Scraping the lower part of bumper)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts