Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my next trip is now coming up. Got my RAV4 compression tested today as I have 255k miles now. Want to make sure it makes it to Mexico AND BACK. LOL!!

(130/150, 100/115, 125/140, 125/155)

One cylinder (second one) is low but not bad. I should be good until 300k (tap on wood.. lol)

My traction plates are ON! ... not leaving immediately.. but the preparation starts.

From Nashville to San Diego first and then down to La Paz Baja and then get my RAV on a boat to mainland and then Mexico City. From there I will head back to Tennessee through Texas.

Any input, any experiences would be greatly helpful.

I know that I can't leave the main roads, as hard as that is going to be, not risking my kids. Also not travel during the night. I also plan to follow a caravan or a bus and not be myself on the road.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Take a gun! I only lived on the border and it wasn't safe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not unless you want to spend years in prison there! Strick gun laws in MX.

Agree. I have travelled to a lot of places and there are signs everywhere that guns are prohibited.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One trip I would never do! Pure danger. Spent some time in Mexico and made friends with a local business person. He told me of the many stories of how someone would spot the 'rich American', follow the car for one purpose-----to take the car, and to take all their valuables. Americans are easy targets, and this is very common in Mexico. He also told me of the danger for locals to drive around Mexico with nice cars, just going to attract bandits that want the car and will take it from you.
I am sure that the person who is posting this trip is going to ignore the warnings already stated on this site, just like the kid who traveled to N Korea and paid for that with his life. Very unsafe to be traveling with a good looking car in Mexico. And that is true even when you think you are safe because you are going to be careful, OR are in Mexico City.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I am aware of the gun laws in Mexico. The comment was made in jest folks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I wish you the very best. You have balls the size of grapefruit. I would not even cross the border when I lived there since they were shooting across and damaging cars and buildings on our side. I do hope we hear from you again after the trip. It's a suicide mission in my book. I pray that I am wrong.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Gun laws not withstanding, Mexico is awash with them. But the police might target Americans for enforcing them - often the police would rather extract money from Americans than arrest them. As RAV4EVR notes travel on main roads and in a caravan is much safer than going off the beaten track and on one's own. Securing one's vehicle when at a motel, for example, at night is important and can be a challenge. When distributors had rotors I used to take the rotor with me to prevent hot wiring drive-offs. Now, maybe removing a vital fuse to disable the vehicle should accomplish the same result. The Mexicans I worked with in the San Diego area said that Mexican thieves have the necessary equipment to overcome many anti-theft and alarm systems.

Have a great and safe trip!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gun laws not withstanding, Mexico is awash with them. But the police might target Americans for enforcing them - often the police would rather extract money from Americans than arrest them. As RAV4EVR notes travel on main roads and in a caravan is much safer than going off the beaten track and on one's own. Securing one's vehicle when at a motel, for example, at night is important and can be a challenge. When distributors had rotors I used to take the rotor with me to prevent hot wiring drive-offs. Now, maybe removing a vital fuse to disable the vehicle should accomplish the same result. The Mexicans I worked with in the San Diego area said that Mexican thieves have the necessary equipment to overcome many anti-theft and alarm systems.

Have a great and safe trip!
Yes, targeting Americans by Police is common, but also by bandits. I also have disabled the car, but they may be annoyed and wait for you to arrive for your watch, wallet, and more. Mexico is not the U.S. and too many Americans apply the standards they are use to that apply from being brought up in the U.S. Have fun driving in Mexico!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
..... It's a suicide mission in my book. I pray that I am wrong.

LOLZ..

My wife and my parents are on your side especially when I am taking my kids with me as well. Imagine the red tape I have gone through. Phew !!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do want to bring one thing to everybody's attention here. It is a study.

So I also have a FJ and I started a similar thread on the FJ forum even though I am not going to be driving the FJ to Mexico.

A 180 degree different point of view there. They are all about this and think that the danger part is BS. They show pictures of them camping there and feel that there is no issue as long as basic safety measures are taken. Many do it regularly.

I am just tickled at the opposite point of views. LOLZ .. it is just too funny. :D

Our Gen 1 Rav4s are well liked in MX. Hope you bring it back!

LOL. There is a deep hidden meaning in that word, "well liked" .. LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts