Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Rav4 Primes are starting to hit some dealer lots in ZEV states, I figured its time to create a "Prices Paid" thread to keep track and inform this community of what the market is looking like for this car. Please follow the template below to ensure consistency.

Dealer Location: xx
Model Year: xxxx
Trim: SE or XSE
Packages: Weather and/or Audio and/or Premium
MSRP: $xx,xxx
Sale Price: $xx,xxx
Out-the-Door (OTD) Price Paid (inc. taxes, fees, registration, add-ons, etc.): $xx,xxx

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I appreciate you starting this thread and I hope everybody shows their MSRP and sales price. Those are the numbers most useful to me. I would normally suggest showing rebates but there will be none on this model for quite some time.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
38 Posts
I think $40K for a car that was less then $20k, 20 years ago is lunacy. Luckily we've got plenty of that lately.
Apples and Oranges. That stripper RAV4 LE model that compares most closely to the vehicle you are referring from 20 years ago is available for $26K at any dealer, and even it is leaps and bounds in better safety and performance. The RAV4 Prime couldn't have been built 20 years ago......

·
Registered
93 Posts
And I dug up the original 1996 motor trend article when the Rav4 was released!

A few notable elements: The vehicle is smaller than today's model, by a lot. The lower prices are for manual transmission, 2-door models, that are 2WD. 4 door/automatic/4wd is extra. It has a 120 hp inline 4 - the only engine available - the same engine power as an anemic Prius has today but trying to propel an SUV. This really shows in it's 12-second 0-60 time. Power windows/door locks/mirrors are an extra-cost option, they aren't standard. 2 airbags, one on each side, that's all you get. Automatic emergency braking or other safety features are a negative. It's estimated at 24 mpg but remember that mpg standards in the 1990s were easier, it would be less than that today. Fuelly estimates it at 21 mpg, real world.

But hey, it's 15.3 gallon fuel tank probably holds an actual 15.3 gallons. And it doesn't have so many electronic modules that Toyota can't figure out which one is draining the battery.

The mostly loaded model Motor trend tested was $19000 in 1996, or 31,218.25 today. Aka what you can theoretically get the RAV4 Prime SE for after the tax credit.

Source: US Inflation Calculator

·
Registered
43 Posts
The whole Economic System is built on inflation and debt. It does not function otherwise so whoever is saying there's no inflation is either stupid or malefic 😁

·
Registered
93 Posts
And they say there is no inflation.
Food is three times the price it was in 2000
5 dollar lunch special is now 15
Nobody says that. However many argue that specific goods - notable housing and medical care and education - are all essential and also not calculated as part of inflation metrics, which are based on consumer prices.

Similarly in this case the newer RAV4 is so much more capable that some would compare it to a much higher end vehicle from the mid 90s.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just started a thread a couple days ago and didn't see this. You beat me to it. I think you should follow this format below that is the same for the format in the 4.5 RAV4 Price Paid thread. The out the door price doesn't matter since each state has different taxes, registration, and licensing. Having the doc fee listed is good since that is a money maker for the dealership. They vary widely from $70 - $1,XXX.

Year:
Trim (SE or XSE):
Options:
MSRP:
Invoice Price (if known):
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license):
Doc Fee:
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc):
City and State Where You Purchased:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Copying over the one post on the other thread here from RussC so his data point doesn't get lost.

Username: RussC
2021 Rav 4 Prime SE
Metallic Silver
Weather package/sunroof/ weather mats/ heated seats front and rear/ heated steering wheel/wiper rain & defrost sensor/ power 8 way driver seat / 8 inch touch screen / cross bars for roof rails / power lift gate

$41,667 MSRP includes $1,120 destination
$0 Dealer Add-Ons
-$667 negotiated discount
$41,000 before fees
$75 Doc Fee
$166.09 Registration Fee
$35 Title Fee
$114 One-Way Airline Ticket
$2,931.50 Utah Sales Tax 7.15%
$44,321.59 Total Before Credit

-$7,500 Federal Tax Credit (Form 8936)
$36,821.59 Grand Total

Additional Cost
$331 Level 2 Home Charger
$120 For 50 ft 6 gauge wire (move existing 240v 50 amp plug in garage)
$35 For 50 amp breaker
$486 Total Home Charger Setup
-$145.80 Federal Tax Credit Home Charger (Form 8911)
$340.20 Total Level 2 Home Charger Setup

Purchased In Small Town Oregon
Live in Utah

·
Registered
39 Posts
Picking it up tomorrow. Will update if anything changes.

Year: 2021
Trim (SE or XSE): SE
Options: Mud flaps, roof bars, all season mats
MSRP: $39933
Invoice Price (if known):
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $39933
Doc Fee: $299
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): N/A
City and State Where You Purchased: Vermont

1 - 15 of 15 Posts