Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
561 - 581 of 634 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

after a month searching in and out of state, yesterday I finally found my deal for an SE at MSRP. Shoutout to JDS, Salmon, and especially RedElmo for listing the (only?) three dealerships that sell at MSRP in California: Longo Toyota in El Monte, Toyota of Walnut Creek, One Toyota of Oakland.

I got mine from a cancelled order at Longo Toyota in El Monte. They have a long list but Arina Romanovskaya (she's great) says that things are getting better with supply and though some people have to wait months others are getting their car after just a month. As usual it depends on how open you are about colors/packages. And on luck. Long story short: she added me to the waitlist yesterday and just a few hours later she reached out to tell me that someone had just cancelled an order for a white SE with only the carpet-mat package, which is pretty much exactly what I was looking for (SE with no or minimal options/packages). So here are my details:

Model: SE (4544E)
Color: Super White
Vehicle base model: $38,350
Delivery processing/handling: $1,215
Carpet-Mat Package: $269
Total MSRP: $39,834
Selling price: $39,834

Taxes (9.50%) $3,792.31

Charges and fees (Doc fee aside, the total is in line with the CA DMV's fee calculator at Calculate New Vehicle Fees)
Doc: $85
Electronic vehicle registration: $30
Flat Add/County Fee $11
Smog Abatement Fee $20
Tire Fee $8.75
VLF and Registration Charge $517
Total charges and fees: $671.75

They automatically deducted the CCFR incentive ($1,500) from the selling price, but for the CVRP incentive ($1,000) I'll have to apply on my own. And then there's the Federal tax credit of $7,500.

After a month of searching and battling with dozens of CA dealers I got back to a few of the most obstinate and sleazy ones who wouldn't budge on their markup and sometimes mocked me for believing that I shouldn't pay above MSRP even in these market conditions. I wrote to let them know that I found my deal at MSRP and I told them that many buyers know that there are still dealers out there that don't add market adjustments, no matter the scarcity or popularity of a model. And that, in the long run, it doesn't pay to rip people off.

My appeal to everyone, if you can wait a little, is to not give your money to these sleazebags!

PS: Mileisy Suckow at Royal Moore Toyota (OR) told me that although they don't have markup they do add a $4,995 "protection package". I didn't try negotiating that because the other deal came in but just for the record.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know how you feel but passing along that you did find your deal to dealerships that rebuffed you helps them more than other customers. In this environment they are more likely to communicate unofficially and change the practices of dealers who will sell at MSRP than decide that they should relent and do so themselves.

Congratulations - I am glad your efforts were rewarded - enjoy your R4P.
Based on the news I am hearing it is going to get a lot worse (in general) before it gets better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Giovanni,
I too have found it frustrating to "deal with dealers" who put up new RAV4Prime SE's on their web sites, but when you call, they say "that car is sold" . The car in my example was pre-ordered by a customer, and was never for sale at the dealership. Their excuse was, "when a new car arrives on the lot, we have to post it in our inventory". Sure.
This same dealer wants me to just hand over $1000, and "wait" to see what might arrive in 3 or 4 months.
So I am supplying interest free capital to keep this dealership in business?

I will keep looking..for a Base SE, like you did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all,

PS: Mileisy Suckow at Royal Moore Toyota (OR) told me that although they don't have markup they do add a $4,995 "protection package". I didn't try negotiating that because the other deal came in but just for the record.
They told me the same thing. I told them, very politely, that there was absolutely no way that I was willing to pay one penny for that stuff and that if they would not remove that package there was no point in talking any further. They went to the manager who said to sell it without that package then. I do live in that town and have bought from them before, so maybe that was part of their decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for a XSE in supersonic red withOUT the premium package on the east coast. Closer to PGH the better. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
RAV4 Prime XSE with PP. Paid MSRP. Boston area. Acton Toyota. They advertise a mark up but I'm a repeat customer, and they also sold an SE to a friend of mine for MSRP so YMMV.

·
Registered
343 Posts
RAV4 Prime XSE with PP. Paid MSRP. Boston area. Acton Toyota. They advertise a mark up but I'm a repeat customer, and they also sold an SE to a friend of mine for MSRP so YMMV.
I mentioned Acton Toyota on this thread earlier…while I didn’t buy a Prime from them I did get a 2021 XSE Hybrid from them a few weeks ago. They advertise a $3,000 markup on them but I paid under MSRP for mine for the same reason-repeat customer. They had like 20 Primes listed on their website-multiple colors and configurations. Not sure if they have any of them still on the lot or if they are all in the order/configuration stage. They had 3 of them on the lot when I was there a month ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I mentioned Acton Toyota on this thread earlier…while I didn’t buy a Prime from them I did get a 2021 XSE Hybrid from them a few weeks ago. They advertise a $3,000 markup on them but I paid under MSRP for mine for the same reason-repeat customer. They had like 20 Primes listed on their website-multiple colors and configurations. Not sure if they have any of them still on the lot or if they are all in the order/configuration stage. They had 3 of them on the lot when I was there a month ago.
The Primes were all sold. I traded in my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid that I bought a year ago June.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Proud owner of a new R4P XSE with premium package and weather package. Bought yesterday from Team Princeton Toyota in NJ for MSRP. Cars were all sold out basically as they got off the truck daily.

$49,600. Every other dealer in the area that had them were marked up. Very happy so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question, off topic a bit
I am looking at buying a RAV 4 Hybrid, LE base model from a MA Toyota dealer. I wanted a Prime, but right now can't swing the extra $$.
If I show up, coming from Vermont, he won't let me drive this car off the lot, even after I pay cash, certified check.. I have to return with a VT registration and VT plates. I said, ok I pay cash, certified check for the new car, but I leave with the Title document, Bill of Sale, Odometer statement, and a key.
Then after going to VT DMV, paying our sales tax, and get plates, I return to MA to pick up the car.
Only problem is, dealer in MA says he can't give me the Title, because they don't have it. I get a "C.O." (certificate of ownership?) then Title is mailed to me later. ???
I have never heard of this before; when I buy a car out of State, for cash, I always take the Title with me, if not the car..
I don't believe a "C.O." will be accepted by Vermont DMV to register a new car. The only proof of ownership, is the Title and a Bill of Sale.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
717 Posts
I am looking at buying a RAV 4 Hybrid, LE base model from a MA dealer.
If I show up, coming from Vermont, he won't let me drive this car off the lot, even after I pay cash, certified check.. I have to return with a VT registration and VT plates. I said, ok I pay cash, certified check for the new car, but I leave with the Title document, Bill of Sale, Odometer statement, and a key.
Then after going to VT DMV, paying our sales tax, and get plates, I return to MA to pick up the car.
Only problem is, dealer in MA says he can't give me the Title, because they don't have it. I get a "CO" (certificate of ownership?) then Title is mailed to me later. ???
I have never heard of this before; when I buy a car out of State, for cash, I always take the Title with me, if not the car..
I don't believe a "CO" will be accepted by Vermont DMV to register a new car. The only proof of ownership, is the Title and a Bill of Sale.

Am I missing something?
A certificate of origin from Toyota is perfectly fine to register your car in VT. VTDMV will send you a title.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A certificate of origin from Toyota is perfectly fine to register your car in VT. VTDMV will send you a title.
I am looking at buying a RAV 4 Hybrid, LE base model from a MA dealer.
Only problem is, dealer in MA says he can't give me the Title, because they don't have it. I get a "CO" (certificate of ownership?) then Title is mailed to me later. ???
I don't believe a "CO" will be accepted by Vermont DMV to register a new car. The only proof of ownership, is the Title and a Bill of Sale.

Am I missing something?
I just bought my car in MA two days ago, also paid cash. I did not leave with a title. I believe the title is generated after it's registered. BTW, I live in MA and got to pay MA sales tax!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Primestraw, zumatech
thanks for the info.. So now I will see if this dealer actually can get this car. I will call Vermont DMV tomorrow to see if they can accept, and register a car with this Certificate of Origin..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Koons in Annapolis, MD is asking $16k over MSRP for an XSE
Priority in Springfield, Virginia is $6,700 over MSRP
Just crazy. Like the tulip craze in 1700s holland where folks were trading houses for rare tulips. Scientists figured out how to cross plants and the fad died . More supply will make this go away. I paid $2500 over Msrp for a loaded $49500 sticker loaded xse silver black.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
125 Posts
Koons in Annapolis, MD is asking $16k over MSRP for an XSE
Priority in Springfield, Virginia is $6,700 over MSRP
Good for them if they can find a sucker who is willing to pay $65k for a RAV4. 2 months ago the same dealer was selling SEs under MSRP. makes you wonder why the change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought my car in MA two days ago, also paid cash. I did not leave with a title. I believe the title is generated after it's registered. BTW, I live in MA and got to pay MA sales tax!
Well at least you could drive your new car off the dealer's lot. I can't even do that, because I live in Vermont. I would have to return to the dealership, in MA with VT plates to get the car..:cautious: A second 8 hour return drive.
And I still wouldn't have a Title document for the car.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
717 Posts
Well at least you could drive your new car off the dealer's lot. I can't even do that, because I live in Vermont. I would have to return to the dealership, in MA with VT plates to get the car..:cautious: A second 8 hour return drive.
And I still wouldn't have a Title document for the car.
Don't overthink this. A Certificate of Origin from Toyota (dealer) is your path to a title issued by the state in which you live and are registering the car. I've done this several times and it's the proper way for the transaction and obtaining the VT issued title. Your dissatisfaction with the process and hassle is understandable within the laws of Mass.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1. I bought my R4P in Rhode Island and I left without the car and without the title. It was a little unnerving at the time but everything worked out. Any reputable dealer does this all the time so you need to trust them. I wouldn't buy from a private party like this but in that case they should have the title in hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So what exactly is required if one is driving a car from a dealership with temporary license tags out of state to register and title in another state?

561 - 581 of 634 Posts