Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
581 - 600 of 634 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It probably depends on what state you live in. In Colorado, you need 1) valid insurance and 2) a bill of sale. In that case you can drive home from the point of sale without tags and to the DMV as needed. The wording on the DMV website is a bit vague but it basically says that you can drive the car 'as needed' without tags for (IIRC) 3 days. That said, the dealer I bought from in RI offered to supply temporary RI tags but I had the car shipped so I didn't need them. I did pick up the car at the shipping company without any tags but I had all my purchase documentation and insurance information with me.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
717 Posts
So what exactly is required if one is driving a car from a dealership with temporary license tags out of state to register and title in another state?
Very simple. A dealer certificate of origin, a bill of sale, insurance rider, odometer statement, and temporary tag from dealer in selling state. Register the car when you get to your home state. Avoid all the dealer requested BS like It's Easy or others to take care of the registration and tax details. They are almost always incompetent and late at your expense. The dealers make a cut and it's unnecessary. I've done this several times and can assure you it works well.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
403 Posts
Well at least you could drive your new car off the dealer's lot. I can't even do that, because I live in Vermont. I would have to return to the dealership, in MA with VT plates to get the car..:cautious: A second 8 hour return drive.
And I still wouldn't have a Title document for the car.
I live in Vermont and have bought new cars in surrounding states many times. Every time the dealer has put temp plates on the car and used a registration broker service to handle all of the VT registration paperwork. Is this MA dealer not willing to do that?

Have you called all the dealers in VT to find the RAV4 you’re looking for? That’s what I did and it didn’t take long to find one on its way to a dealer in Rutland, which is about 90 minutes from me. Super easy transaction at MSRP.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in Vermont and have bought new cars in surrounding states many times. Every time the dealer has put temp plates on the car and used a registration broker service to handle all of the VT registration paperwork. Is this MA dealer not willing to do that?

Have you called all the dealers in VT to find the RAV4 you’re looking for? That’s what I did and it didn’t take long to find one on its way to a dealer in Rutland, which is about 90 minutes from me. Super easy transaction at MSRP.
As far as I know MA is one on the few states that do not have temporary plates.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As far as I know MA is one on the few states that do not have temporary plates.
That sucks. I’ve bought new from NY, NJ, and NH without a problem but the only car I’ve bought in MA was from a used car dealer. I was transferring my VT plates from another car, so the VT DMV told me to just put the plates on the car to get it home and then submit the transfer paperwork.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That sucks. I’ve bought new from NY, NJ, and NH without a problem but the only car I’ve bought in MA was from a used car dealer. I was transferring my VT plates from another car, so the VT DMV told me to just put the plates on the car to get it home and then submit the transfer paperwork.
That is exactly what I did when I bought my last (used) Subaru in MA. It wasn't an official Subaru dealership. I just put a set of Vermont plates on the car, and drove back to Vermont. Putting VT plates on a car, you just purchased, and submitting the registration paperwork later is comletely legal in Vermont..Then I parked the "new to me" car , went to the DMV with the Title document, Odometer statement, Bill of Sale. Paid the VT tax and registration , got new plates and that was it.

I later bought another used Subaru Tribeca from a New York State Subaru dealer. He gave me a NY temporary transfer document , taped in back window, I drove the car home. No problem.

This Toyota dealer, now in MA (who wants me to hand over $30,000) won't give me a set of temporary tags. He won't let me drive the new car home, with VT plates from a car I am taking off the road. I have to just take this Cof O , Odometer statement, Bill of Sale, and hope the VT DMV will issue plates. Then I have to return to MA, drive the car back to VT (another 8 hour return drive) with the new VT plates, and hope I get the actual Title to the car one day.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have called all the Toyota Dealers (who don't have any cars anyway) up North here in Vermont. One dealer wants me to give them $1000.00 to put me on his "list" for any new cars they might get in 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have called all the Toyota Dealers (who don't have any cars anyway) up North here in Vermont. One dealer wants me to give them $1000.00 to put me on his "list" for any new cars they might get in 3 or 4 months.
Is that Heritage? They told me the same thing. That’s why I drove down to Rutland instead. Did you try Alderman’s?

·
Registered
125 Posts
This Toyota dealer, now in MA (who wants me to hand over $30,000) won't give me a set of temporary tags.
Use Google to search for temporary plates in Massachusetts. The reason they won’t give you temporary tags is that they do not exist.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is exactly what I did when I bought my last (used) Subaru in MA. It wasn't an official Subaru dealership. I just put a set of Vermont plates on the car, and drove back to Vermont. Putting VT plates on a car, you just purchased, and submitting the registration paperwork later is comletely legal in Vermont..Then I parked the "new to me" car , went to the DMV with the Title document, Odometer statement, Bill of Sale. Paid the VT tax and registration , got new plates and that was it.

I later bought another used Subaru Tribeca from a New York State Subaru dealer. He gave me a NY temporary transfer document , taped in back window, I drove the car home. No problem.

This Toyota dealer, now in MA (who wants me to hand over $30,000) won't give me a set of temporary tags. He won't let me drive the new car home, with VT plates from a car I am taking off the road. I have to just take this Cof O , Odometer statement, Bill of Sale, and hope the VT DMV will issue plates. Then I have to return to MA, drive the car back to VT (another 8 hour return drive) with the new VT plates, and hope I get the actual Title to the car one day.
Mass does not issue temporary plates .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just picked up a RAV4 Prime SE from Johnstons Toyota in NY at MSRP. Waited for about 3 weeks to get it in my preferred color (it was in transit when I reserved it). They have prices posted on their website, MSRP for SEs and $3k extra for XSE. For NYS residents, the $1k rebate is taken off there, before the taxes. There seem to be a lot of Primes, some in-transit, in the tri-state area. Some dealers appear to be holding on to them for quite awhile, hoping to get quite a bit above the MSRP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Placed a factory order with a dealer in Maryland for my XSE. MSRP, but he told they were instituting a $3k markup for out of staters going forward.
So in 6ish months, I will take a short flight down and a 4 hour drive home with my new Prime.
Contacted over 15 dealers in Maryland and western NY. Most are looking for $4,000-$16,000 over sticker. Now I just need the 2010 Prius with 200k miles to hang in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealer Location: Autonation Irvine
Model Year: 2021
Trim: SE
Packages: Weather , moon roof ,all weather mats, rear bumper applique, roof rack

paid MSRP + 1000. I got all windows tint because I am paying 1000 on MSRP. From texas purchased in california so did not get california 1500 tax rebate but will get 7500 federal rebate

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dealer Location: Hagerstown MD
Dealer: Younger Toyota
Trim: Silver XSE
Packages: Premium
Accessories: All-weather mats, door edge guards
MSRP: $49,059
Sale Price: $49,059
Doc Fee: $500
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): None
Interest Rate and Bank (if financing): None

Two months from deposit to pickup. When I first called two months ago, the salesman told me there was no markup because I was within 100 miles of the dealer (I'm about 80 miles away). Not sure what they are doing now for markups.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealer Location: Hagerstown MD
Dealer: Younger Toyota
Trim: Silver XSE
Packages: Premium
Accessories: All-weather mats, door edge guards
MSRP: $49,059
Sale Price: $49,059
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): None
Interest Rate and Bank (if financing): None

Two months from deposit to pickup. When I first called two months ago, the salesman told me there was no markup because I was within 100 miles of the dealer (I'm about 80 miles away). Not sure what they are doing now for markups.
Awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer Location: Baltimore MD
Dealer: Jerry’s Toyota
Trim: Supersonic Red XSE
Packages: Premium Audio, Weather
Accessories: All-weather mats, cargo liner, wheel lock, mudguard, door edge guards
MSRP: $46,253
Sale Price: $46,253
Dealer Add-Ons: $995 Lojack
Interest Rate and Bank (if financing): 1.99% at 84mos APL FCU

Repeat customer, bought a Land Cruiser from them 2 years ago. I was looking for a SE in white and went into the dealership for a test drive knowing they have 3 inbound white SE currently at port. Have a Black SE on the showroom and a Red XSE on the lot. Test drove the XSE and left with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Well, in the end we have put a deposit down on a new, 2021 RAV 4 Hybrid LE, (MSRP) at a dealer in Montpelier. It is part of the dealers allotment for November. Not a Prime :rolleyes:. Only a 1hour 20 minute drive from our home, so easier for the Toyota 2 year, 20,000 mile service plan.. This RV4 Hybrid is being built, on Nov 2nd in Georgetown, Kentucky. Ruby-Flare Pearl color. Hope it arrives at dealership in November. $28,900 MSRP plus options was an easier price to swallow, as we will pay cash. All the Primes (as you know) are built in Japan, have to come by ship, unknown delivery date, etc,etc..Very hard to find.

Question.
If I am putting a deposit on a car, that hasn't been built yet, can one change the options? Probably not.

581 - 600 of 634 Posts