·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 RAV
2wd
90%+ highway cruiser
Mobil 1

Apparently had some condensation contaminating the sample. I didn't have it up to operating temp before I took the sample(was Feb when I took the sample). Will have to get another one next oil change and get a cleaner sample.

Despite that there was still enough additivies for them to recommend 6k for the next oil change. But I'm sticking to 5k while it's under warranty(though I went a smidge over this time).

Compare to my Celica's sample. "Perfect condition" with 7,800 miles on the oil and 89k on the clock.

Used Blackstone Labs. $20 for analysis plus $10 for the TBN(how much additive is left).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the sample containers are free. They mail them to you when you request them from the website.

I do get a little hassle at the post office. But once I show them that it's a container inside a ziploc bag inside another container and that it's just used motor oil, they're cool.

Since it's going to "blackstone labs" they usually initially think it's blood, urine, or something toxic at first heh.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I also use Blackstone Labs.

It is the only way to determine what the mileage requirement is for changing your oil based on your driving conditions. It also lets you know if there is something abnormal going on in the engine and allows you to correct it before damage is done.

They usually do the analysis the day they get the sample and if you have supplied an email address, they will email you the results as a pdf file (you also get a copy mailed to you)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts