Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can never have enough Dreaded Oil Threads, but here goes.

My extended warranty just ended, never used it. No added oil between changes, used Toyota 5W-20 conventional oil and OEM filter, changed myself every 6 months, and worked out to 4k-miles on average between changes.

Decided to change to synthetic Mobil 1 and maybe stretch the oil change interval. But before I did, I sent in a sample to Blackstone labs to kind of see how the Toyota dino oil had fared, and to get their take on switching. Here's the report:

This is my first test, so a noob at interpreting. But everything I read and comparing other reports on BITOG website shows engine metals wearing very nicely, among other things. Scored much better than a few other models (Honda, Mazda) I checked at the BITOG website.

Info on reading test numbers:
Engine Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

Bottom line, the Toyo dino oil appears good, could have stretched to 6k-miles. My 2AR engine appears good. Will report the Mobil 1 results to compare additives in 6 months, just for grins. Anybody else have a UOA or observations on my report, please post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My dad had a 1986 Corolla as a company car. His employer used 55 gallon drums of inexpensive, non-synthetic motor oil and they did oil analysis on all their vehicles to determine when to change oil. His typical oil and filter change interval was 12,000 miles. My dad bought the car (for a dollar) when his company retired it at 250,000 miles. The car had 340,000 trouble-free miles on it and still ran great when he sold it in the mid-90s.

Knowing this,I routinely go 10,000 miles between changes on Mobil 1 full synthetic and have never had any engine wear out. I've had a few apart for head gaskets and such and they are always spotless inside.

I maintain and repair 2 cars, a truck, an SUV, a minivan, two motorcycles, a power boat, and a bunch of gasoline powered yard tools. The last thing I need is more maintenance to do. I think your decision to go with Mobil 1 and longer intervals is smart.

Reactions: RAVN4RED

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting they were able to stretch dino oil to 12k-miles! I'm sure modern oils can much longer than specified, and nice they were able to back it up with some analysis. Pretty cool getting the car for $1 also and keep going!

Now that my warranty is done--which required 6-months change regardless of mileage--I'm looking forward to pushing the oil change intervals. I'll stick with a 6-month change for the first Mobil 1 change, get it tested, just to get kind of a base line. Then I fully expect the RAV will be good to go for yearly changes with mileage around 9k per year. (Duh, like what Toyota already does for the gen 4.4 with the 2AR engine...)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
That report looks very good.
The silicon levels being at 6 indicate that your air filter is doing its job... drop in a K&N and watch that number jump to 15+ ;)

Low aluminum and iron... pistons are not scuffing, zero copper, bearings are in good shape.

Oil held up quite well (which I would expect for only 4k, yes, you could have easily gone to 5k or higher)...
Ending viscosity both hot and cold are right in the middle of the desired range for a 20w oil. Acceptable flashpoint and fuel contamination at 25% of acceptable show that your emissions and injection systems are performing properly, fuel and no water indicate that you aren't taking an excessive number of short trips (any fuel and water that does make it into the oil is being boiled off by running at operating temperature.)

Insolubles show that the oil filter is also doing its job.

Congrats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts