Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen various services - which one(s) is/are best?

How often do you have your oil analyzed?

Do you catch a sample as it drains from the pan?

TIA,

-kj-

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I get mine done from blackstone-labs.com and I'm very happy with their service.

I'm getting an analysis done on my Celica every other oil change with 6000 mile intervals currently. Probably going to bump that up to 7000 since my 6000 anaylsis does so well with Mobil 1 and the toyota filter.

Supposed to warm the car up a bit and catch the sample as it drains, and in the middle of the drain. Not what first comes out or the last.

Hardest part of the process is getting the post office to accept the package. Lots of ignorant workers at ours that don't think the package they give you is acceptable. So you have to bring the letter along showing it complies with their standards.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. For best results, I presume you need to do several tests over time?

My other car, just driven for pleasure about 2k/yr, gets its oil changed annually (Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 filter). Since I have a SureDrain on it, it would be easy enough to drain the oil into a clean container, take a sample, and put it back in. Hmmmm. I'm going to order a kit.

-kj-

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
kjarrett said:
Interesting. For best results, I presume you need to do several tests over time?
Yeah, though it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Could just do it once if you're just looking to check out an older car or one you just bought used for any issues. Or if you're looking for the best oil drain interval for your driving style that requires multiple tests upping the interval by 500-1000 each time.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered my kit. Thanks again! Should be interesting...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil Life

kjarrett said:

My other car, just driven for pleasure about 2k/yr, gets its oil changed annually (Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 filter). Since I have a SureDrain on it, it would be easy enough to drain the oil into a clean container, take a sample, and put it back in. Hmmmm. I'm going to order a kit.

-kj-
Just a thought on your annual oil change...

I was told that no matter if you drive the vehicle or not it was 3K miles or 3 months because in that time oil begins to break down and actually become acidic.

I may be wrong, however, it is worth looking into and may save you some grief or not hurt anything to do it anyway.

Lovin my new RAV4!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Re: Oil Life

rodador said:
I was told that no matter if you drive the vehicle or not it was 3K miles or 3 months because in that time oil begins to break down and actually become acidic.
Even Jiffy Lube has stopped advertising that 3k/3mo number and say to stick to the manufacturer recommended schedule.

Sure, it doesn't hurt the car to do it so early, just your wallet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts