Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 with the 2.0 ltr engine and can't find any info on how much oil it requires. I just changed it and put in 4 qts. The dipstick seems screwy :? like there is oil runing vertical instead of horizontal. I think it should take more but 4 qts looks about right. I don't have a manual so thats why the question. More than 4 qts? Bueller, Bueller???

·
Registered
875 Posts
The guys at Kragen or Autozone should know. They looked up my 2.0 and if I remember correctly, it was somewhere around 4.5 liters. I know it was more than 4 for sure and I had some left over from my 5 bottle.

·
Registered
779 Posts
From the Haynes manual:

1996 models....4.1qts (3.9 liters)
1997 through 2000 models....4.3 qts (4.1 liters)
2001 and later models....4.4 qts (4.2 liters)

That'll buff out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll go with 4.2 ltrs Alex! (Trebek) Thanks for the info folks.

I was reading on another post about the little tab on the valve cover where the oil goes and wondered if anyone has just taken the cover off and popped it off so you can just stick a regular funnel in the hole? I'm sure it's there for a reason but...

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have done enough oil changes with my Rav that I can pretty much eyeball it. I take a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 and pour in a little over 4 quarts (judging by the hash marks on the side of the jug) and 90% of the time I get the level to the full mark on the dipstick on the first try. On a couple of occasions I've had to add a little more, but it's easier to start with less and add a little instead of pouring in too much and having to take some out.

When you go to check the dipstick, you should first let the engine sit for at least five minutes to let the oil settle back into the pan. Then pull the dipstick, wipe it down with a clean towel, stick it back in for a second, and then pull it back out. When you pull it back out, hold it sideways to get an accurate reading, and always look at both sides of the dipstick.

As for the metal oil baffle, it's there for a reason, otherwise the engineers wouldn't have put it there. Yes it would be nice if you could just sit the funnel in the hole, but I've never had a problem holding the funnel with my left hand and pouring the oil with my right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts