Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this yesterday and got no response. It was added to a very old thread so maybe that's why, so I'm trying again.

I'm about to do the first oil change on my 2014 RAV -- I've been letting the dealer do it under warranty 'til now. I have two questions:

1) I've watched YouTube videos where they thread the plastic drain device into the filter. Others push it in and complain it's hard to do. Which is it, screwed in or pushed?

2) Where can I order a Toyota filter online. The dealer is further away than I want to drive and won't mail one.

This video was the best of the ones I found:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I push in that drain piece. I used to struggle to insert it without making a mess. I found that inserting a 4-inch section of garden hose on the discharge nozzle makes the task a lot easier and neater. The hose acts as a handle and placing your thumb over the end prevents the oil from spilling out prematurely.

I order a box of ten OEM filters at a time from ebay to get free shipping which is usually very expensive for my location.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
1) I've watched YouTube videos where they thread the plastic drain device into the filter. Others push it in and complain it's hard to do. Which is it, screwed in or pushed?
The plastic drain plug is pushed in until it latches. To remove it, break it away at a 45 degree angle, and it should take the old o-ring with it. This post documents the whole procedure:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/76179-2-5-liter-i-4-2ar-fe-oil-change-instructions-new-4-cylinder-engine-2009-a.html

2) Where can I order a Toyota filter online. The dealer is further away than I want to drive and won't mail one.
A search on Amazon.com will find many Toyota dealers selling OEM parts cheaper than your local dealer, often with free shipping. Or check out some other Toyota parts sites I have listed below.

TRD Toyota-Scion Performance Parts Accessories from Sparks Toyota-Scion
Toyota Parts | OEM Toyota Auto and Truck Parts from Toyota Parts Express
Toyota Parts Cheap - Genuine OEM
Toyota Parts and Accessories Outlet :: 1-888-704-7278
Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Auto Parts and Accessories
ToyotaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Toyota Parts and Toyota Accessories
Toyota Parts - ToyotaPartsBarn.com
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/
Toyota Parts: Toyota TRD Parts, Replacement Parts and accessories from Carson Toyota
Toyota Parts and Accessories - Genuine OEM at Wholesales Prices | Toyota of Dallas
ToyotaPartSales.com

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just push the plastic drain plug in until it snaps in place. I also added a 6" plastic drain tube to the bottom of plug. If you want to stock up on 10 OEM oil filters & 10 drain plug gaskets check out this eBay link.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very informative. Totally different set up than our '11 Outback. Now I have to go and get a new tool for removing this filter housing. As an aside...the new outback and other barus have the filter in the top of the engine bay...very easy and accessible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Another option--don't fuss with draining the filter housing before removing it. It might be a touch messier if a bit of oil spills out of the filter housing before you can get it down and into you catch pan; however, it's worth it to me to avoid fussing with removing the plug on the bottom of the filter housing, using the plastic drain & hose, and replacing the o-ring on that plug.

·
Registered
286 Posts
BTY Mobil has a 12.00 rebate on Mobil 1 5 quart jugs .Limit 2 per household. Walmart has 0w-20 for 22.88. for a final cost of 10.88! Just make sure you submit a online form for each rebate. ( I just got 2 separate receipts)
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/up-to-15-dollars-off-with-mobil-1-and-mobil-super
Walmart is not listed as one of the participating retailers. The list says it is *some* of the participating retailers. Did you have any problems submitting your rebate for a *Walmart* purchase?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Walmart is not listed as one of the participating retailers. The list says it is *some* of the participating retailers. Did you have any problems submitting your rebate for a *Walmart* purchase?
I didn't have any problems with Walmart purchase. I've done it for the last 2 years. I bought 2 jugs each time but got separate receipts for each jug.(limit 2 rebates per household) First time it took 7 weeks and second time it took 10 weeks to get check. You can call Mobil at 1-866-895-9127 to double check if you like.

To check status of rebate after submission use this link.
Mobil Rebate Research

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I failed to come back and report my experience changing oil on my RAV so here it is. Draining the oil was no different than my Camry's and others. But, changing the filter was a mess. I took off the little silver cap on the butt which the dealer had put on much too tight. But then, I wasn't able to push the little plastic snap-in filter drain thingy into position and the more I tried the more oil came out and down my arm so I gave up. I used this filter wrench to remove the filter housing. I don't think it would have been possible without this tool. I think the ones that depend on flats would not have held and possibly broken the housing. The dealer had put the filter on so tight I had to use an 18", 1/2 drive breaker bar to remove it. Even then I wondered if I was going to have to get a cheater. When it finally began to move it didn't just break loose -- I had to use almost all my strength on the breaker bar for a full two turns before it got loose enough I could use a 3/8 ratchet to get it loose enough to turn by hand. Some of these tools split under too much torque. I didn't do this but in retrospect I think I should have used the hex on top instead of the 3/8ths drive connection which I think is less likely to split -- of course you have to apply more torque.

Of course, when loosening by hand, oil came gushing out over my hand and down my arm. Because it was so unbelievably hard to get off I wasn't sure how much to tighten when replacing it. I tightened 3/4 turn after what kinda felt like touchdown just as I've always done with spin-on filters. But, I was left not knowing whether that's tight enough. No leaks so far.

Spin-on filters were soooo much less trouble, why in god's name did they change to these terrible things, and has somebody made a spin-on replacement yet?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I totally agree that the paper elements are a joke. They are not cheaper, even though they don't have a metal housing, and the system they came up with is asinine. That center plug never wants to come loose without the whole housing spinning. I went through all of the mess and frustration with my '09. I now have a '14 and am still getting "free" oil changes, so, I don't have the newer experience yet. The 09 wrench did not have notches and flats, the whole thing was just the numbs and, with the plastic filter wrenches, they just slipped around without loosening the housing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Most shops don't remove the stupid center bolt to let out the 10-ounces of oil in there and neither should you. Just remove the whole housing, lower it, tilt into the drain pan. Not that difficult.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dealers are known to over tighten both the housing and cap. Once you get them apart and reassembled at the correct tightness - no problems to remove. Easy to drain and no mess when using a 6" to 8" hose extension that drains directly into your oil pan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most shops don't remove the stupid center bolt to let out the 10-ounces of oil in there and neither should you. Just remove the whole housing, lower it, tilt into the drain pan. Not that difficult.
I'd use the drain plastic thingy if I could get it to go in easily, but until they improve it, I won't be using it again. Some third party filters come with a thing that screws in. To me, it would be better than letting the oil get all over my hand and arm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Jim, is that filter wrench metal or plastic? The plastic one I bought for my '09 had too much give to it.
It's cast metal. But you have to be a little careful choosing one of these. The one I linked to above is for 2.5 Liter engines. This one, which is also reasonably priced and gets reasonably good reviews is for 1.8 Liter engines. I don't know which engine the '09 RAV has.

Another tip:

I wasn't paying attention and put the tool on the wrong way at first. It only fits one way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'd use the drain plastic thingy if I could get it to go in easily, but until they improve it, I won't be using it again. Some third party filters come with a thing that screws in. To me, it would be better than letting the oil get all over my hand and arm.
I totally agree. I struggled with the plastic drain thingy--it doesn't fit easily. It just adds to the mess, so I just skip it. (Although I may try what Tibadoe suggests and use my own piece of drain hose if I can find a size that fits better.)

I am pretty sure MOST shops do not drain the oil out of the cannister during an oil change. What purpose does that really serve? You might get a chuckle out of this old post:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/77234-oil-filter-plug-will-not-come-out-2.html

Go to the last post, in it, MurderMan says:
When I asked said SERVICE MANAGER where his techs got their tool from, his reply was, "we don't use that tool. We just 'tighten the $hit' out of the drain plug with a 3/8" drive, and then the whole thing comes off in one piece when we loosen it."

·
Registered
139 Posts
Even though they tell you to replace the oil plug gasket at each change, they don't do it. If you take it back complaining that it leaks, they have to drain the oil to put one on and then fill it again = $$$$$.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts