Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Oil Change -2022 Rav4 XSE Hybrid - Interesting Things Observed.

3494 Views 34 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Rav4ManAus
Bought the filter at dealer and was about $7.00 (cheap, wow) and no cartridge. A regular oil filter. Love it!!!

Bought the oil 0W16 which was super hard to find and cost me $38 dollars.

My 2017 Rav4 has similar costs except the oil is easy to find and much cheaper.

It was my 10,000 mile checkup but could not get in on a Saturday for two weeks to dealer and prefer this dealer. However, was at 10,800 and could go more but just preferred not to. Kept ignoring service message also. Kept all receipts just in case they challenge me on maintenance impacting warranty. You never know.

Oil change was very easy. The factory put that oil filter on so tight I needed a pipe wrench to loosen or maybe it gets tight when hot. Just drove it.

Mobile 1 0w16 full synthetic for hybrids - Advanced Auto.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
I agree that a regular oil filter is a plus. Although the older style wasn't bad. I personally would prefer a little larger filter. I have found 0w~16 oil at the local Walmart and other auto parts stores. My local Toyota dealer has the Toyota oil on hand.
I had no real issues when I changed my RAV's at 1,500 miles. (I'm not a believer in 10k oil changes). I too keep super documentation.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must have missed that washer in the package. Bought a bag of OEM crush washers while back. Actually, Canada has lots of parts not sold in USA like hood deflector ( oem) I bought (very nice) and body trim (calvary blue) getting soon. The hood deflector takes a bit to install but is rock solid once on. Thanks for feedback.

· Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
373 Posts
My first oil change after my 2 free years of service from the dealership, the filter was on tight as hell. The filter wrench I had with the teeth to bite in to get grip had to be squeezed so hard that it ripped holes into the filter to get it free. As far as oil, I get my Mobil 1 0w16 from Walmart for about $25 for the 5 quart jug. It has always been available when I go in.

· Registered
444 Posts
RE: Is the washer for the drain plug meant to be replaced at each change?

100% yes. absolutely. oil change procedure is incorrect if you do not use a new gasket. however
most gaskets will survive several reuses and not leak. but new gaskets exist because
used ones are supposed to be thrown out and new ones installed -every time-.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
46 Posts
Bought the filter at dealer and was about $7.00 (cheap, wow) and no cartridge. A regular oil filter. Love it!!!

Bought the oil 0W16 which was super hard to find and cost me $38 dollars.

My 2017 Rav4 has similar costs except the oil is easy to find and much cheaper.

It was my 10,000 mile checkup but could not get in on a Saturday for two weeks to dealer and prefer this dealer. However, was at 10,800 and could go more but just preferred not to. Kept ignoring service message also. Kept all receipts just in case they challenge me on maintenance impacting warranty. You never know.

Oil change was very easy. The factory put that oil filter on so tight I needed a pipe wrench to loosen or maybe it gets tight when hot. Just drove it.

Mobile 1 0w16 full synthetic for hybrids - Advanced Auto.

Does anyone know the torque on the oil filter and drain plug?

· Registered
96 Posts
I go by tight hand tight..
but if you want to know, this is from the toyota service manual
Install the oil pan drain plug.
Torque:
40 N*m (408 kgf*cm, 30 ft.*lbf)

Using SST, tighten the oil filter sub-assembly.
SST
09228-06502
d.
Depending on the work space available, choose from the following:
Torque:
17.5 N*m (178 kgf*cm, 13 ft.*lbf)

· Registered
608 Posts
oem toyota filters come with a gray, fiber composite oil plug gasket
If your filters are coming with the drain plug gasket the dealer is throwing them as a bonus. I know my local dealer used to years ago, but not anymore. I have only ever bought OEM Toyota filters. I have three of those filters used on the current RAV4 as well as 3 or more of the cartridge type filters and none of them have a drain plug gasket. I buy a dozen drain plug gaskets at a time and just have them on hand. If you buy the filters online they don't come with a drain plug gasket either.
I go by tight hand tight..
but if you want to know, this is from the toyota service manual
Install the oil pan drain plug.
Torque:
40 N*m (408 kgf*cm, 30 ft.*lbf)

Using SST, tighten the oil filter sub-assembly.
SST
09228-06502
d.
Depending on the work space available, choose from the following:
Torque:
17.5 N*m (178 kgf*cm, 13 ft.*lbf)
Weird that that SST part number is listed in the service manual, but not on the website where Toyota SST are purchased. You google that part number and just about everything comes up Ebay. There is an error somewhere. I have the OEM tool that fits that filter and it isn't that part number.

· Registered
2022 RAV4-Hybrid XLE Premium, Blizzard Pearl
63 Posts
I purchase the filters for both my Tundra and RAV4 from the dealer for a little under $8.00 for either vehicle. Dealer adds the gasket for the RAV4. Not sure if they charge separately for the gasket or just roll it into the price of the filter. For under $8, I really don't care.

When I got my Tundra back in 2012 the Mobil-1 0W20 oil was not stocked at my local Walmart at all so I went to another one to buy it. After about a year it started appearing on the shelf at my local store and continues to do so now. The Mobil-1 0W16 that the RAV4 uses does not have as much shelf space (one row) at my local Walmart but I am usually able to find it when I need it.

As far as cost of the 0W16 goes, at Walmart the 0w20 and 0w16 are the same price for the same type of oil. The 0w20 that lasts more miles does cost more. Last time I checked this oil had increased in price to just a hair under $30 for the 5 quart container. An oil change on the RAV4 for around $38 is still cheaper than the dealer and a LOT less work than my Tundra.

FYI, Mobil-1 usually runs a rebate on up to 2, 5QT containers of their oil during each year. Last year I saved $20 on 2 of the 5QT containers.

· Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
233 Posts
The old rule of thumb for an oil filter is make contact with the rubber and go 3/4 turn. Drain plug, just snug it down good. It doesn’t hold pressure. No need for the gorilla torque on either of them.
It's more than a rule of thumb, it's the instructions printed on the OEM filter. But indeed not gorilla tight. As I recall, it was just moderate force using a short (10" or so) wrench.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts