Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
'22 XSE Hybrid | Silver Sky
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my car into my local dealer for my second oil change, I ask my service advisor if there would be a charge to change the blinkers from 3 to 4 blinks when you do a lane change blinker (I'm not sure what to call it, but it's not a full blinker).

He goes on to say, first, that he doesn't know anything about this function of the blinkers, then he says something to the effect that they can't change it because of government rules or some BS.

I thought I heard this was an option that could be changed by a service tech, maybe I'm wrong. I just think 3 blinks is too short. Maybe I should try a different dealership.

He did offer to change my blinker fluid though! j/k

· Registered
900 Posts
Try another dealership if you want.

You can use a tool called Carista to do it yourself. You may or may not have good luck asking a dealership to alter the factory settings for your own customization.
Don't take it personally. It is not just you, that person or Toyota. Ford mentions similar things when people go in to ask them to recalibrate the speedometer or to enable power folding mirrors.

If you are going to make the turn signal change, most people on Ford change it from 3 to 5. I don't think there is much advantage of going up just one flash. I almost never use the options actually, I always forget about it but 3 flashes is pretty useless.
If I drove like everybody else it would probably be okay -many drives use the signal to warn me they are coming over vs signaling asking for permission to enter my lane.
If I am on cruise approaching vehicles in my lane I'll bump the signal for the 3 flashes so the oncoming driver either allows me in or speeds up. If they won't react in time I'll make myself fit but first gave them a chance.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,982 Posts
So I took my car into my local dealer for my second oil change, I ask my service advisor if there would be a charge to change the blinkers from 3 to 4 blinks when you do a lane change blinker (I'm not sure what to call it, but it's not a full blinker).

He goes on to say, first, that he doesn't know anything about this function of the blinkers, then he says something to the effect that they can't change it because of government rules or some BS.

I thought I heard this was an option that could be changed by a service tech, maybe I'm wrong. I just think 3 blinks is too short. Maybe I should try a different dealership.

If some setting can be changed, it is usually listing in the "Customizable Features" section of the owners manual. There is no listing there for the number of blinks when activating the turn signal level. Thus, it can be assumed you cannot change it.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is possible I read it on here and just thought it could be done by the dealership. I've had my car 8 months now, so I may have read it quite awhile ago.

Thanks for the responses, I did look at the Carista tool, but it looks like you have to pay a monthly fee to access the other features. Or I guess use it for a month and that's it.

· Registered
900 Posts
I only just learned Carista is a subscription too. I heard about it, did not look. My guess is one could cancel, hopefully.

I had the tool to modify the Ford. People would continually buy the more expensive model because they thought it was better. I used mine for about 2 months -once I configured my vehcile how I wanted it there was no need to use it. It sat in the closet for 2 years before I got rid of the truck. Glad I paid $28 vs $75 for the OBD dongle. ha Granted the Ford tool and the Toyota dongle for Carista can be used for diagnosis, etc so a nice dongle could be useful but it is in a closet more than it is used.

I haven't seen the cost but it could be worth it for some customization.

The more I learn about the car the more I hate some of the safety features.... I'd like to learn what can be disabled then pay for it, make my changes within a month or 2 and pay again in the future if I ever needed to use it.

· Registered
106 Posts

Are you referring to the lane change flashing times as shown using techstream?
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

· Registered
106 Posts
Yes, that's the feature I'm talking about. I just want it higher than 3.

What exactly is Techstream?
Techstream is Toyota's OBDII diagnostic program. Try searching in this site to learn about it. I think (not sure though) you can also change the number using the MID. Explore it and see if you can.

Or you look at this video in youtube.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Techstream is Toyota's OBDII diagnostic program. Try searching in this site to learn about it. I think (not sure though) you can also change the number using the MID. Explore it and see if you can.

Or you look at this video in youtube.
I've been through the MID quite a bit, it's not in there. And as FKHeath said, if it was user customizable, it would be in the Customizable Features of the user manual, I looked, it's not in there either.

· Registered
106 Posts
I've been through the MID quite a bit, it's not in there. And as FKHeath said, if it was user customizable, it would be in the Customizable Features of the user manual, I looked, it's not in there either.
I guess you have either learn about techstream to access the customization or you can ask the dealer if they can do it for you. See the video to get started if you want to do it yourself later on.

· Registered
947 Posts
When I want to change lanes I put on the flasher, if the coast is clear move over once I am in the lane I want to be in cancel the flasher. There is no asking permission to come into their lane, first it's not their lane and secondly as long as you give them plenty of notice & don't cut them off one should be ok.

· Registered
3,397 Posts
The Toyota dealership would seem to be correct. I looked in my 2019 manual and found the following customization table. I looked in a 2021 manual I had and I couldn't find it so I downloaded the 2022. Sure enough, there is no table under customization nor is there any info in the text part on how to use the turn signal. The text just states 3 flashes.
It would appear that at least in 2021 and 2022 Toyota removed these settings:

From 2019 manual:
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

From 2022 manual:
White Automotive lighting Organism Font Line

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Toyota dealership would seem to be correct. I looked in my 2019 manual and found the following customization table. I looked in a 2021 manual I had and I couldn't find it so I downloaded the 2022. Sure enough, there is no table under customization nor is there any info in the text part on how to use the turn signal. The text just states 3 flashes.
It would appear that at least in 2021 and 2022 Toyota removed these settings:

From 2019 manual:
View attachment 189728

From 2022 manual:
View attachment 189729
Thanks for the info. Don't know why they wouldn't allow the change for a '22.

I'll think about going the Carista way, maybe for just a one month subscription.

· Registered
7 Posts
There are several features that can be enabled/customized using Carista. One is how many flashes for the lane change. Another is to enable the all windows roll down by holding the unlock button on the remote. My vehicle is a 21 XLE awd gas model.

I’m happy to do it for anyone in the San Antonio TX area 😀

· Registered
900 Posts
There are several features that can be enabled/customized using Carista. One is how many flashes for the lane change. Another is to enable the all windows roll down by holding the unlock button on the remote. My vehicle is a 21 XLE awd gas model.

I’m happy to do it for anyone in the San Antonio TX area 😀
If a user pays the $40 subscription feel, can it be cancelled with any refunds or if you cancel are you out the money and now out the use of the app?

I read a review from a user who used it for a trial period then cancelled. Is there still a trial period? How long is the trial if so? Or do you even know these answers?

· Registered
5 Posts
Try another dealership if you want.

You can use a tool called Carista to do it yourself. You may or may not have good luck asking a dealership to alter the factory settings for your own customization.
Don't take it personally. It is not just you, that person or Toyota. Ford mentions similar things when people go in to ask them to recalibrate the speedometer or to enable power folding mirrors.

If you are going to make the turn signal change, most people on Ford change it from 3 to 5. I don't think there is much advantage of going up just one flash. I almost never use the options actually, I always forget about it but 3 flashes is pretty useless.
If I drove like everybody else it would probably be okay -many drives use the signal to warn me they are coming over vs signaling asking for permission to enter my lane.
If I am on cruise approaching vehicles in my lane I'll bump the signal for the 3 flashes so the oncoming driver either allows me in or speeds up. If they won't react in time I'll make myself fit but first gave them a chance.
If they don't get out of the way I flash the high beams at them like they do in auto racing. If that doesn't work I introduce them to the chrome horn! That will always get some sort of result.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts