Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the manual, I need to buy 5W-30 Preferred. It say I need 4.2Qt with filter and 4.0Qt without filter. Is that correct? Where is the oil filter located? I can't seem to find it no where in the manual or 2001 RAV4 don't have one.

Thank you

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the 04, it is front and center just behind the lower air dam/splash shield. This is with the 2.4 engine. I'm not sure it is the same with the 2.0 engine.

·
Registered
986 Posts
On the 2001 Rav the filter is located at the front right corner of the oil pan. It "hangs" straight downward towards the ground so it is easy to work with, as long as you remove the splash shield in front of it.

Since you MUST change the oil filter when you change the oil, you will need 4.2 quarts of 5W30 motor oil, and a genuine Toyota filter is preferred over the other brands. As for the oil, any brand will do as long as the right type and weight, but I prefer Mobil or Castrol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Easy to access, splash shield not in way with extension

Yes, the oil filter on the '01 RAV with the 2.0L engine is easy to access, and it is nice that it hangs straight down, meaning less spillage.

You don't need to mess with the splash shield if you use an extension (2" works fine) on your ratchet with a cap-type (right term?) oil filter "wrench".

Another nice thing - you can just slide under the RAV without raising or jacking it up. There's enough room.

Good luck.

RAV on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts